Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to enable limited account to install / uninstall programs

• Please log in to reply

Jisez

Jisez

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all

I am wondering if it is possible to allow a limited user account to install programs in the computer. (windows vista or windows 7)

I know by allowing limited users to do so we are essentially rendering the limited account concept useless but my situation is complex and I need to have this function.

Is this option available for any version of windows? Even if it is only available in windows ultimate, for example, I will pay to get it. Please advise, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The restrictions of a limited user account are the same for all versions of Windows 7.

The limited user can, however, install a program by right-clicking the installer file and choosing "Run as administrator", but then they would be prompted to enter the admin user's password if that account is password-protected (as indeed it should be). If the limited user knew your admin password that would defeat the whole point of them having a limited user account, but it's the only way you can make it possible for them to install anything when their user account is limited.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 January 2011 - 05:41 AM.

Joshua666

Joshua666

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

If you want some advanced steps about limited account, please take your time and review this links!

How to Setup and Use Parental Controls in Windows 7
How to Allow or Block Specific Programs in Windows 7 Parental Controls
How to Set Game Restrictions in Windows 7 Parental Controls
How to Set Time Limits in Windows 7 Parental Controls
Software Restriction Policy

Hope this helps?

Joshua

Jisez

Jisez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help. My situation however is that I am living alone and I need to prevent myself from visiting some Internet websites.

As such, I need to do something to prevent myself from accessing the files in System32 folder yet at the sane time allow myself to install software. Is there any way that I can achieve this?

Thanks again

Joshua666

Joshua666

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Why would you do that, better thing is to watch out and to respect some safety rules.
Here are the links that if you respect will keep you from bad things

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!
http://www.geoapps.c...t_practices.htm
Internet safety
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected

Hope this helps
Josh