Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Messenger wont sign in

• Please log in to reply

P Lazarou

P Lazarou

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

I have been unable to sign in on Windows Live Messenger now for about 2 years, initially it did not bother me but recently i would like to be able to use the service again. I have been on the Windows Live problem page and tried a few walkthroughs they had without any success. This is the error message i get

Posted Image

thanks

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello it seems their is a problem with your hosts file so please can you goto the following directory

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

In this directory you will see a file named HOSTS can you double click this for me and select it to open with notepad. The default hosts file in windows XP should be

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If not please can you make sure it is and paste this into it then just hold the CTRL button and press S to save it. I would also like you to open notepad and do the following. To access notepad goto

Start - All Programs - Accessories - Notepad

Within notepad paste this into it and save as reset.bat

@echo off

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset
shutdown -r -t 0

Before double clicking this can you make sure all work has been saved as it will restart automatically.

After this please try and sign in, if you are still unable to sign in please proceed below.

I would now like you to get a Malware check done as this maybe causing your problem. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.

If you are still having the same problem please return to this topic.

Regards

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 28 January 2011 - 04:55 PM.

P Lazarou

P Lazarou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi thanks

I opened that host file and it only had in it so i saved what you pasted above in it. There were several host files in it this is the screen shot.

Posted Image

I ran the reset.bat and it still won't open MSN. Same problem with host files and thanks i have a malware thread ongoing here

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1960860

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

That directory seems and I can't see the backups being a problem in my own opinion so at the moment I will let the malware team have a look and report back when the malware team have sorted you out. I would also like to ask are you running the 2011 version of Windows Live Messenger? although I can't see that being the problem.

Regards

P Lazarou

P Lazarou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi thanks

It is version 2009 14.0.8117.416

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello and thanks for the information.

When the malware team has sorted you out and if you are still unable to sign in try downloading and installing the new version which can be found here

Thanks