Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggestions on a new computer

• Please log in to reply

cadkey03

cadkey03

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm building a new computer and this is what I had in mind
-GeForce 460 gtx 1GB
- i7 3.06ghz
- 12 GB RAM(overkill I know)
- 4 1TB drives - I've had someone suggest a NAS because I want the network capabilities. My main question is I'm doing duel boot windows and linux. Slowly moving to Linux as I learn it. My main worry is that the NAS system isn't compatible with both.
- Case and motherboard are up to question. Motherboard wise i was looking at asus Ive never heard anything bad about This.

Please key in with any suggestions

Advertisements

matthewdnee

matthewdnee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well with 4 1TB hdds it wouldn't be a bad idea to use one or two of them for network storage, in windows you can share the whole drive, and in Linux you can also point that as an export. This will allow both your linux boot and windows boot to not only do the sharing important so that no matter what you are booted into can share. once configured will allow for sharing on several platforms. NTFS may be ok, I know Fat32 will work.