Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, blinking cursor, and it's a netbook...

• Please log in to reply

HopelessMess

HopelessMess

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was using my eee netbook earlier today, using Windows XP instead of the Ubuntu on dual boot. My webcam wasn't registering, so I decided to check on a start up menu to see if it was enabled. It was. I went to explore some other menus that show up during dual boot by pressing other f-keys. I think f6 messed me up.

A loading bar came up on a black screen, and I panicked and shut if off. Turned back on, Windows loaded without asking about the dual boot, and a program was running. It started with an S and had ghost in the name. It also had a load button. I pressed closed, it continued, so I shut it off again.

When I turned of back on, same thing except the program said if I wanted to (insert word here) then the memory would be erased and I should back up my files. There was a checkmark button and a guy walking out the door, which I pressed. It said 'Reboot...', turned off, on, and gave me the black screen with the cursor.

Everytime I turn it on I get the same screen. Once I got the Asus symbol, but couldn't do anything before it resumed to the screen.

....Help? I can't unscrew anything, because I lack the tools. All I can do is remove the battery or once again create a pendrive out of my ipod and download Linux.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try [F6] again, but this time do NOT turn it off. Let it finish installing and setting up the operating system. When it's done you should be good to go.