Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search engine problems

• Please log in to reply

rrioesmarex

rrioesmarex

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My search engine process has somehow become corrupted. I did a reset system to an old date and it didn't help.
On any search engine I use ...... Google, Yahoo, Bing etc. after I type in a question, the search engine delivers the normal 1 to 100 pages of results, but when I click on a result, instead of going directly to the website related to that result, I get transferred to a 3rd part site which either lists a whole bunch more possible sites ( which don't work or refer you somewhere else again, ) or the sites referred to have nothing to do with the question asked.

Seeing as this affects all search engines, is the problem something to do with a computer setting or is some kind of malware program causing this ?
I have run my virus [protection programs but they don't seem to detect what is causing this.

Any suggestions on the cause of this problem, and more importantly how to fix it.

Of course if I delete the upper address bar content and then cut and paste the actual website address into the address bar, then I get taken to the site but that is a slow and annoying process

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

At first I was going to advise on resetting your web browser but since its happening on all of them there isn't really any good in doing that. In terms of any malware that might be hiding on your system I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :D

I would also advise you to remove your email address as this is against the terms of use.

3. Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers

Please take a moment to review this important information

d. Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 28 January 2011 - 04:57 PM.