Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lots of viruses and sending SPAM too

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have not had any mozilla errors for about 10 days. But yesterday I was prompted to update my yahoo toolbar addon for mozilla. I clicked ok. Then my bookmarks were gone and some new apps were in the toolbar. Then it went to a blue screen and shut down and then when trying to restart windows would not load due to missing or corrupt win32\DRIVERS\pci.sys It said I can attempt to repair this file by starting Win Setup using the original setup CD-rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair. I tried restarting in safe mode and safe mode with networking and same result. I tried rebooting to last known configuration with same error message and windows not loading. Should I look for my cd? I bought laptop new so probably have it somewhere. Also my husband said something about windows system recovery. We'll wait for you.

Advertisements

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
There is a possibility that your system files could be infected. Download the f-secure rescue CD:
http://www.f-secure....tools/rescue-cd

Burn it to a CD and scan your computer with it.

Were you able to find the Windows install disc that came with your computer?

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi. We could not get the rescue cd to work. We made 2 of them just in case. One had just the iso file and the other had the containing folder and then the iso, notes, and readme files and neither one worked in my computer nor my husband's computer. I changed the boot order to have the cdrom first and the computer just starts up and goes to the os system to start screen (windows xp or windows recovery) But i did find the app and driver recovery dvd and the windows os dvd which did load and I got to a blue screen that loads windows from the disc and then goes to a dos prompt in windows recovery mode.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

That's good you found your recovery CD. :D

Did you burn the iso image using CD image software or did you just place the iso on the disc? An iso file is a container that holds many files. You need to download a program like http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the iso image to a disc.

Once you download ImgBurn select "Write image file to disc"

Mitch

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok. so we got the program and burned it correctly and ran the scan. it found no malware in my drives but said that fsav had an error code 8.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

Let's try this.

1. Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.

5. Type in the following exactly(then press enter):
copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\pci.sys C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
6. Type in exit (then press enter) to exit and restart your computer.

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
We did step 1 & 2. Nothing for 3, not sure why we'd have dual or multiple. No prompt for admin password. Then we did 5. exactly. Access is denied.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Try the new command below. Remember you have to copy this exactly.

1. Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

3. Type in the following exactly(then press enter):
copy C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\pci.sys C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pci.sys
4. Type in exit (then press enter) to exit and restart your computer.

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Same result. We each tried a couple times. Access is denied.
There is still no admin password prompt. I usually have no password prompt on my computer but since my problem in the choose user/login screen at startup, there is Leslie and there is Administrator. I don't know if that matters. when we turn the computer on, it goes to the first regular screen and then to a black screen saying press any key to boot from cd. i press a key and then it goes the windows setup. after loading some files it gives us a welcome to setup screen where we have the option to setup windows xp by pressing enter, repair xp installation by pressing r, or quit by pressing f3. I pressed r and then it goes to a black screen that says microsoft windows xp recovery console and a c:\> prompt. we typed in exactly what you typed case sensitive and everything and it keep saying "access is denied" and going back to the c:\>.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

Let's try using a different CD. This one will allow us to do more.

OTLPENet.exe
MD5=6C27128FDF3062E9F70BAB3E36017A4F
Size: 127,212,280b / 121.3MB

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • In the Fixes box paste in the following.
    :files
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\pci.sys|C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pci.sys /replace

• Click Run Fix.
  • Post the log it produces here and try to restart your computer.

Advertisements

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
1-8 went without a hitch. But when I selected c: and clicked start, i got a "Runscanner error: Target in not windows 2000 or later" and then exits the to the reatogo desktop.
so i tried "My computer" instead and it said "No windows installations found" again to desktop. another funny thing is that everything seems to have subfolders except for c:

Edited by LesFo, 08 March 2011 - 08:10 PM.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Can you manually copy pci.sys from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\pci.sys to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pci.sys?

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am not sure how you mean to do that. I clicked on My Computer and then c: and it says that the drive is corrupted and unreadable. says the same thing in the command prompt. i typed in exactly what you just typed in the mbrfix command prompt and it said that it cannot find the files.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

It appears your hard drive is corrupted.

We will need to download another tool to repair your drive.

Go to this website: http://seagate.custk...1271&NewLang=en

It will instruct you how to make a CD or floppy disk. Once you get it burned to a disk or floppy boot into it with your computer. Under the basic menu run a long scan. This will take a long time. If any defects are found, a list will be offered at the end or after aborting the scan. You will have the opportunity to attempt to repair the problem sectors.

LesFo

LesFo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
DST Completed without error. Short DST passed & Long Test Passed.
There were no opportunities to attempt to repair. It did not abort. I guess it did not find any defects then.