Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEWBIE Desperately Seeking Assistance Re: Downloading

• Please log in to reply

life2005

life2005

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please someone help me! I have written to Megaupload help area over a dozen times without a single response!:-( Question: I am a newbie in terms of downloading things. I “get” I need to find legit links and when I click I need to go to a site like Megaupload or hotfile to use their respective systems to open and download to my computer. I also get that if I don’t “pay” most sites only let me download one item at a time and very, very slowly. So I learned that Megaupload has something called “Happy Hour” that would allow me to use premium aspects for free between 4 and 6 am. So I downloaded all they said – their “Megamanager”, MegaKey, logging into my free account, etc. But I couldn’t see ANYTHING different about their system at 4 am with all these downloads then at 2 pm without downloads (which seemed to slow up my computer on a whole). I SEARCHED THE SITE – I CLICKED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF. Please – what am I doing wrong? What should I see or click that is different during happy hour? How do I download faster or multiple files at this time? Is this even a legit site as they never answer their contact us emails. Last but not least, it takes me up to 4 hours to locate the download link of something I seek. For instance, my daughter is doing a report on Thomas Edison now. What is the easiest way or site to go to in order to locate any downloadable documents or books on him? Are there special link sharing sites for downloads? Thank you!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Please someone help me! I have written to Megaupload help area over a dozen times without a single response!:-( Question: I am a newbie in terms of downloading things. I “get” I need to find legit links and when I click I need to go to a site like Megaupload or hotfile to use their respective systems to open and download to my computer. I also get that if I don’t “pay” most sites only let me download one item at a time and very, very slowly.

This is normal behaviour for those sites. Basically you get what you pay for.

So I learned that Megaupload has something called “Happy Hour” that would allow me to use premium aspects for free between 4 and 6 am. So I downloaded all they said – their “Megamanager”, MegaKey, logging into my free account, etc. But I couldn’t see ANYTHING different about their system at 4 am with all these downloads then at 2 pm without downloads (which seemed to slow up my computer on a whole). I SEARCHED THE SITE – I CLICKED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF. Please – what am I doing wrong? What should I see or click that is different during happy hour?

Megaupload haven't done a happy hour anything for the best part of the last two years.

How do I download faster or multiple files at this time?

For faster downloads, you pay for a premium account. That's it. The limitations of anonymous downloads or free downloads from the site are clearly defined when you go to download. These include throttled download speeds, no multiple files and no downloading of files multiple times in so many minutes.

Is this even a legit site as they never answer their contact us emails. Last but not least, it takes me up to 4 hours to locate the download link of something I seek. For instance, my daughter is doing a report on Thomas Edison now. What is the easiest way or site to go to in order to locate any downloadable documents or books on him? Are there special link sharing sites for downloads? Thank you!!

There's plenty of material about Thomas Edison on the internet that's available without the need to go anywhere near Megauploads. Google the gentleman. Not like he's an obscure individual. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wiki the researchers friend. As a newbie I am including the link to Thomas Edison biography located HERE.
With a little reading and researching she should be able to create a great report. :D

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Please someone help me! I have written to Megaupload help area over a dozen times without a single response!:-( Question: I am a newbie in terms of downloading things. I “get” I need to find legit links and when I click I need to go to a site like Megaupload or hotfile to use their respective systems to open and download to my computer. I also get that if I don’t “pay” most sites only let me download one item at a time and very, very slowly.

This is normal behaviour for those sites. Basically you get what you pay for.

So I learned that Megaupload has something called “Happy Hour” that would allow me to use premium aspects for free between 4 and 6 am. So I downloaded all they said – their “Megamanager”, MegaKey, logging into my free account, etc. But I couldn’t see ANYTHING different about their system at 4 am with all these downloads then at 2 pm without downloads (which seemed to slow up my computer on a whole). I SEARCHED THE SITE – I CLICKED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF. Please – what am I doing wrong? What should I see or click that is different during happy hour?

"Megaupload haven't done a happy hour anything for the best part of the last two years." Not sure if I am replying correctly, so bolding my print to distinguish it from the reply - I appreciate your reply, but I actually found the "happy hour" promotion on the Megaupload site itself - not merely from older posts on youtube or another forum, so it surprises me to hear you say otherwise. Also, the few posts I did read were from people claiming success in using it (unfortunately, I had no way to contact those posters to ask how.) Lastly, my child's report was just one example - in general, are there popular sites people use to locate appropriate links to material they are seeking? I understand the internet is a wealth of info IF one knows where to look. Sure, I use google, but as I said, sometimes it takes me 4 hours or longer until I find an appropriate file sharing link to legit (non-copyrighted) materials - SURELY, there must be a better way to search or a few download link sites someone on here can please sugget, yes? Thank you!

How do I download faster or multiple files at this time?

For faster downloads, you pay for a premium account. That's it. The limitations of anonymous downloads or free downloads from the site are clearly defined when you go to download. These include throttled download speeds, no multiple files and no downloading of files multiple times in so many minutes.

Is this even a legit site as they never answer their contact us emails. Last but not least, it takes me up to 4 hours to locate the download link of something I seek. For instance, my daughter is doing a report on Thomas Edison now. What is the easiest way or site to go to in order to locate any downloadable documents or books on him? Are there special link sharing sites for downloads? Thank you!!

There's plenty of material about Thomas Edison on the internet that's available without the need to go anywhere near Megauploads. Google the gentleman. Not like he's an obscure individual. :D

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you! (Also, can you please read the note I added above about seeking the address of some file sharing (of legit links) sites? Thanks.

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To rshaffer, I tried to thank you above, and added a comment, but not sure I sent to the right place or person. I hope you can read my comments. Thanks.

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh, you sent me to Wiki... :D - yeah, I love Wiki, but unfortunately, most students in school are NOT allowed to use Wiki as a reference to their report. Hence, why I was looking for some other legit sources - ie: books, etc. online...

Edited by life2005, 31 January 2011 - 03:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Using Google just now I get the following results.
About 3,460,000 results the least actually being his own page online HERE which includes a biography. :D

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Using Google just now I get the following results.
About 3,460,000 results the least actually being his own page online HERE which includes a biography. :D

Thanks, but feed a man a fish, he eats for a day - teach him to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Is there anyone on this forum who can address my original questions and direct me to either actually file sharing links sites and/or direct me to a page which may offer a tutorial for file sharing for newbies? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know what else we can help you with. We have shown you how to find info on people by doing a google search.

Is there anyone on this forum who can address my original questions and direct me to either actually file sharing links sites and/or direct me to a page which may offer a tutorial for file sharing for newbies? Thanks.

GTG does not assist in issues with P2P problems except for the removal of the programs pursuant to the Terms Of Use. The reason we don't support P2P is because of the law and risk of infection possibly caused by the files downloaded. A great many of these files have infections in them and will cause in some cases your system to become unusable.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As rshaffer said, file sharing is not something we provide help with. As far as I know, there's not much available as far as free file-sharing sites. I'm not even sure how filesharing would help your daughter do a report on Thomas Edison. As you've been shown, there are many ways to find information online without the use of filesharing. In addition, do you have access to a library? This is the original source of free books, encyclopedias, etc., and your daughter would be able to find information there.

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
"Megaupload haven't done a happy hour anything for the best part of the last two years." Not sure if I am replying correctly, so bolding my print to distinguish it from the reply - I appreciate your reply, but I actually found the "happy hour" promotion on the Megaupload site itself - not merely from older posts on youtube or another forum, so it surprises me to hear you say otherwise. Also, the few posts I did read were from people claiming success in using it (unfortunately, I had no way to contact those posters to ask how.) Lastly, my child's report was just one example - in general, are there popular sites people use to locate appropriate links to material they are seeking? I understand the internet is a wealth of info IF one knows where to look. Sure, I use google, but as I said, sometimes it takes me 4 hours or longer until I find an appropriate file sharing link to legit (non-copyrighted) materials - SURELY, there must be a better way to search or a few download link sites someone on here can please sugget, yes? Thank you!

Edited by life2005, 02 February 2011 - 11:51 PM.

life2005

life2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Mmm.. I hadn't realized asking about legal file sharing was a "no no" on this site - in fact, I didn't even know what P2P meant until someone posted that in their answer above, and so I googled that (just as the poster told me I should google things :D) and I got a whole education this afternoon. Some other tech sites were willing to explain to newbies like me, just what it was, what was bad about it, etc, without "admonishing me" the way some on this site seemed to have done. (Or rather, without totally ignoring the question I was clearly asking by giving me an answer which clearly did NOT provide me with the facts I sought. I was asking from a good place, but it seems it is assumed all on here are coming from a bad one. Too bad - as sites like this are a GREAT way to educate people like me who - in my case, has very advanced degrees, but in business - not technology, and thus, am relatively technologically illiterate (though I can program my TIVO!! on a good day...)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I think we need a clarification of the term "filesharing". :D Filesharing typically refers to the sharing of music, movies, programs, etc. This type of material is usually, but not always, copyrighted and not available for free use. People often infect files they put on filesharing sites and use it as a means to spread viruses. While there are some legitimate reasons for using filesharing (or its close cousin - torrents), I would say the majority of the usage is not legit, and it's a very big source of the infections that we battle on our site. Therefore, we have a blanket rule that forbids the discussion of filesharing. I am having a hard time imagining that there is that much legitimate stuff that you are trying to download, therefore, it's difficult to direct you to a legitimate site.

Given that, I'm not sure that you're looking for is filesharing. You say that you're looking for legit links to non-copyrighted information - what kind of information? You gave us the example of your daughter's report - the information you would get for that shouldn't involve any type of filesharing. However, you may be referring to the information on the sites and how to reference that information, or reference the site itself. If , for example, your daughter finds copyrighted information concerning Thomas Edison, that would be handled the same way as finding that information in a book. Your daughter would cite the site where she found the information (that would be the address, i.e, http://www.thomasedison.com, or whatever the address is), and then credit the author appropriately. She could then use that information in her report.

I think I need a better idea of what type of information you're looking for in order to better answer your question. I think there's a misunderstanding as to what your needs really are.