Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Port Forwarding for Black Ops

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Let me just start out by saying that I am not very savvy with this type of stuff so if it is not allowed, sorry. I've done a bunch of Google searches to no avail and I was wondering if someone could help me set up port forwarding for my Black Ops game for XBOX 360. I run through a local internet connection (at 6 megs) and I doubt they would provide much help, if any at all. I have no trouble with regular internet connection through my computer at all but when it comes to Black Ops it's a whole different story. Regardless of time of day, I usually only have 1 (sometimes 2 if I'm lucky) connection bars in gameplay and it is definitely taking its toll. I also usually cannot play between 2 P.M. and 11 P.M. especially on Fridays and Saturdays. I've tried the instructions that I have found through Google results but since I am not very savvy my results have been less than satisfying so I was wondering if someone could help me a little more in depth with it.

If help can be given, if this information may be of use, I have a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you are able to connect to a party and game, then the problem isn't related to port forwarding. When joining a match, you should see your NAT status at the bottom right of the screen. What does it say there, strict, moderate or open?

Are you running the Xbox wired, or wireless? I'm assuming you are having a problem with in-game lag? Does this happen with other online games or just Black Ops?

On a side note, the new map packs get released tomorrow! :D I checked out a couple of the pre-release videos and they look like they should be fun.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
The NAT status says Open.
I'm running wireless. I don't really play any other games but when I do play The Sims 3 I get slight lag. The past few days I have had no problem connecting to XBOX Live (pure luck, I'm sure) but before that most nights it wouldn't let me connect or I would get randomly disconnected during popular hours that people use the internet/play XBOX Live around here. While everyone else usually runs 3-4 connection bars, I am lucky to get 2 and my gameplay status is affected because of it.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you have an open NAT, then there is no need to forward ports, as port forwarding only effects your NAT status with the Xbox. If you would like to forward the ports anyway, I can help you do that if you would like. Most likely this is caused by connecting via wireless though.

Is there anyway you can grab an Ethernet cable to run over to the router as a test? This would allow us to rule out the wireless as a problem. Another thing we can test is your speed at the time you run into issues. Do you happen to have another wireless device, such as a laptop? If so, we can use that to test the signal, if not a desktop will work, although it's probably wired so it's not going to give us a good correlation.

When you have problems, open a browser and run a speed test. Please post back with your ping time, upload and download speed.

I'm really thinking this goes back to the wireless, as a friend of mine was experiencing the same problems and after switching to wired everything ran perfectly.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 01 February 2011 - 09:07 AM.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Here are the results for the speed test that I have done.

Posted Image

I can run an Ethernet to the router if you'd like, yes. And I do have another wireless device (a laptop).

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Was that speed test run from your wireless device? If not, please run that from the other wireless device when you are experiencing problems. Also, could you run an additional test when you aren't experiencing problems? Perhaps in the morning when traffic is low.

Try running your Xbox wired and see how things work out. Is this a DSL connection or Cable?

Your ping time looks good, which is the biggest factor with lagging and dropped connections, although your upload speed is pretty slow. I'm going to check on the minimum speed requirements and I'll get back to you.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Here is the speed test from the wireless computer (laptop).

Posted Image

and then again:

Posted Image

I have Cable internet.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Your results fall within the minimum requirements for playing over XBL, although the only specs I could find were written back in 2007. Your download speed is fine, the upload is a little slow, but I would think it should suffice. I really don't know if things have changed and the specs just haven't been updated by Microsoft. Try running an Ethernet cable to the Xbox and see how things behave.

If you can, please run a different speed test from your laptop and report back the results. You'll have to manually type them, but all we need is ping time, upload speed, download speed and the QOS from both download and upload. You can find them on the "Summary" tab after the test is run.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 07 February 2011 - 07:25 AM.