Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I use a Vista. Virus took everything over!

• Please log in to reply

FlippersRevenge

FlippersRevenge

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First time on this site so my apolagies if I'm on the wrong thread..

I managed to pick up a virus/malware?? I believe I got it from downloading a bunch of these "Free TV channels/ Movies"
I got sick of paying comcast over a 100 bucks when I only liked a few stations! So I hook my computer up to my TV and watch it that way.. Then bamm!! kept getting booted. I was told to download rkill, and I already had malware bites!
and AVG.. but couldn't delete a few things.. I found it in my explorer.exe registry.. and saw a site where people said "just right click and delete it" well it wouldn't even give me the delete option! So I went into properties, and took away Permissions! Ultimately..I have no Idea what I'm doing.. I hate the Vista..But computer isn't that old.. But I'm afraid it's now a paperweight!

What it does now? Well I always have to sign in..My password no longer lets me get on and says "wrong username,or password)
and where it says hint? I see " Mind ya business!" Nice huh?
Im told from a few folks " It's easy, just go to safe mode, with networking" I can't tho.. I just get a blank screen..
I even rebooted into set up? not sure..I kept hitting F11 or F some number and clicked on "fix my computer" Nothing happens again!
I wish I can remember exactly what it says after I try and log on, because it'll maybe be something helpfull? If so.. Please ask and I'll reply.

Im worried that since I can't use "safe mode" , and can't sign on.. It's dead. I was talking to somebody I work with and an IT guy from a Rite Aid Building decided to chime in and said "sorry pal, it's junk now! throw it away and buy new!" I hope he's wrong..

Please help me out if you can..Thank you for your time
~Jack..

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi we can take a look at the system and see if it is repairable, the disc you will be creating will allow you to access all files on your system and back them up if needed. If all else fails then a re-install should work. The computer itself is OK - just the software that is the problem

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

The latest version is v3.1.44.2

OTLPEStd.exe
MD5=B2FC64F658B31E9B695B98D18361C485
Size = 98,075,974b / 93.5MB

• Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop
  • Download [attachment=47544:scan.txt] to a USB drive
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPEStd.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click the Custom scans and fixes box
  • In the dialogue locate the scan.txt you have on the USB
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

FlippersRevenge

FlippersRevenge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not home yet, but will try it tonight, or tommorrow night after work. Thanks for reading this, and replying !
Very new to this, but it looks like you have made it simple, thanks...

Just wanted to mention that the first thing I saw (If I looked at it right) was to download something to my desktop?
But I can't access any part of my computer wether in safe mode, or regular because I can't pass my own password, that they changed on me.
How I was able to first fight the virus that I was able to sign on, but got booted trying to use my malwarebites, everytime! was use my girlfriends laptop, and a usb flash drive to load things on it, and add it to my pc. But now cant even get to my desktop!

You probly got that, but wanted to make sure. Plus Vista (atleast mine?) Anytime I have put a CD in the drive it never recognizes it!!
and wouldn't even show on my computer..But will definately try exactly what you have told me to do, andagain thanks a bunch for your help, and time!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Create the cd on a second computer, and by using this we bypass windows on the sick computer

FlippersRevenge

FlippersRevenge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried for a few days now, and must be doing something wrong..
I used a good comp to download both things,and "wrote to disk"..
Put the CD in my bad comp. Went to set up, under Boot and made CDROM my first two options
( It suggests I make HDD-01 my 2nd or 3rd option) but I didn't even have that listed anywhere!
so made hard drive ( hoping its the same thing) as my 3rd option.

I hit f10 to save it, but it just keeps bringing me to the page where I type in my password to get on my homepage
I can hear the cdrom running, but nothing ever happens!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Once you set to boot from cd rom did you reboot the computer ?