Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mulitple Hard Drive Inquiry

• Please log in to reply

rs316hy

rs316hy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a system with 2 hard drives. The C: drive I boot on right now has Windows 2000 Professional and the F: drive has Windows XP Pro. My question is, if possible, how do I select which hard drive I want to boot to without switching the IDE cable? Can I have a "boot menu" for selecting which hard drive I want to boot to?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you had installed the second OS from inside the first one, into a seperate drive, you would already have a boot menu setup!

Anyway, in answer to your question - yes you can, its called dual booting & both 2000 & XP support this.

Can you confirm for me the following :

Are the OS's installed on the primary (first) partitions of the drives?

I assume the 'C' drive (win2000) is the master drive on the primary channel. Is the second drive on the same cable as a slave (I'm guessing it is from the drive lettering) or is it on a seperate cable from the first one.

Can you confirm that these are the only 2 hard drives you have in the system & that they are both standard IDE (ie not serial ata)?