Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

windo

windo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, need some help :D

I recently plugged in an old hard drive to my computer. Usually on boot up the computer will have a black screen with writing:

Loading Operating system...
Boot from CD/DVD...

and then it would start immediately after.

After plugging in an old hard drive to use it as a storage device, it would stop at that point. To start my computer I would have to press F12 then select the hard disk to boot windows from

I got sick of this and just took the hard drive out now so it has just the original hard drive in the box (and a portable hard drive)
But again, it will freeze after saying "Boot from CD/DVD" and to start it I have to press F12 and manually select the disk to start from.

Can somebody help me here? What have I done wrong? I have plugged in my hard drive countless times without this problem.
Is there a way I can have my alternate hard drive peramently plugged in without getting this error?

Thanks a lot.

The other hard drive has no windows installed on it, it is just a blank hard drive.

Advertisements

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
You may need to use a rescue disc would you like my help?

windo

windo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes please

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Please download Avira's Rescue Disc located here: http://www.avira.com...r-rescue-system

Requirements
- CD/USB
- 4gb+
---------------
Steps To Perform:
Download the ISO format.
Use MagicISO Burner or Active ISO Burner to burn the ISO to the CD/Usb.

Boot the computer with the Rescue Disc.

Tell me how this goes.

-Disruption

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Avira is a useful for rescuing a system with a malware infection. However, I doubt it will do little to help in this case. The best option would be to boot system using a Windows 7 DVD, and use Startup Repair. It's most likely a Master Boot Record issue.

windo

windo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks admin that sounds better. will do it when i can be bothered restarting my pc ;P

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks. I just learned a new thing now. I assumed it's malware due to the fact that in some cases, malware does cause this.