Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Log in: Win-7

• Please log in to reply

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well I tried this but are you sure you have the right person/problem? I still can't log in to my computer. I have to boot up in "safe mode" to use it at all. When I tried to follow your most recent directions, first of all, the options are a bit different in the control panel in safe mode. Secondly, I can't get it to connect to the internet in safe mode.
Please let me know what to do next. I would love to be able to log into my machine the normal way & then connect to the net, etc.
Thanks

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Yes I believe you are right. I have been looking at this too heavily from a Malware point of view.

Let's just look at things again. As I see it there are two things we have to deal with:

1) Your computer boots up but when the log on selections come up none of them will work. This might be related to something wrong with the User Account Controls and Administrator rights. You are quite right, my experience in this area is limited and I will seek assistance from the tech section for this. But before I do, please tell me, did you get this message at all "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."?

2) The update function on your machine does not appear to be working. That was the purpose for the internet repair. There is a tool see below that you can use that might have helped. I overlooked that in Safe Mode you couldn't do that. However you may be able to download the tool and transfer it.

Download and run Mr Fixit for Windows Vista updates on the sick computer in Aggressive mode.

Then install updates one at a time working from the latest down to the earliest.

Come back and tell me if that makes a difference.

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Emeraldnzl,

Yes the error message you listed is correct. That error message is exactly what I get every time I try to log in, "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." Also, I downloaded that Microsoft Mr.Fixit file on a flashdrive & tried to run it on the ailing computer. However, an error message popped up saying "The Windows Installer service is not accessible in Safe Mode. Please try again when your computer is not in Safe Mode or you can use System Restore to return your machine to a previous good state."
Did you see malware in .the logs I uploaded? I assume the computer was hijacked or something because something caused the inability to update windows. Is that aspect of the problem taken care of yet? If we can get the log in working, hopefully, I will be able to manually go get the updates
Thanks for looking into this.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Yes the error message you listed is correct. That error message is exactly what I get every time I try to log in

Go to the link below for a solution to that problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Be very careful as you will be making changes to your systems registry.

Go to this link for some instructions on how to back up your registry before undertaking the actions above.

http://www.pcruneasy...edit/backup.php

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Emeralnzl,
I have been working on this for a very long time now. I followed the instructions in every detail & tried the 3-different methods listed in the directions from MS. Nothing has worked. I deleted the .bak at the end of the profile files & placed 0s in the windows it suggested, etc. The only thing I was able do is delete a profile. However, when I booted back up the profile symbol was on the desktop. I went into the "users" area repeatedly but it is not offering me the possibility to create a new profile. Also, when I click on "manage another profile" nothing happens. Are these options, like creating a new user not available in Safe Mode?
Another point, when I go to the search box & type in regedit it says the selection can't be found. The only way I could get into "regedit" was by going through the "help system" which offers a link to it when you search for info. on backing up the reg.
This is incredibly exasperating! Should I try to rerun the update to Win 7 or something? Can I even do that in Safe Mode?
Thanks

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
I will consult with techs about this.

Might take a while as we are in different time zones.

I will get back to you but in may not be until tomorrow my time. :D

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi Kazak,

Still waiting for a reply to my query re your problem.

I am wondering though if there is a validation issure here.

Let's run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and see what it produces:
  • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
  • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
  • Click "Continue"
  • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
  • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
  • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.
Hopefully you can download and transfer to your ailing machine.

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Emeraldnzl,
Thanks for hanging in there with me!
I ran the diagnostic successfully. Unfortunately, it will not copy so I can't paste the results here. It will help to know which lines you need to see instead of typing out the whole thing. I will recreate the lines you need in a post after you let me know.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Let's have a look at these bits:

Validation Code:
Cached Online Validation Code:
Windows Product Key:
Windows Product Key Hash:
Windows Product ID:
Windows Product ID Type:
Windows License Type:
Windows OS version:

Partial Product Key:
License Status:
Notification Reason:
Remaining Windows rearm count:
Trusted time:

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, here are the results:

Validation Code: 0
Cached Online Validation Code: Category was not listed
Windows Product Key: *****_*****-9GWXW-XYJYF-DRR8Q
Windows Product Key Hash: uo6XF3vYGdp1vDG/YRbAWilIY6U=
Windows Product ID: 00426-437-2756285-85887
Windows Product ID Type: 5 - Retail
Windows License Type: Category was not listed
Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.001

Partial Product Key: Category was not listed
License Status: Category was not listed
Notification Reason: Category was not listed
Remaining Windows rearm count: Category was not listed
Trusted time: Category was not listed

Maybe it wasn't successful after all since you have listed many categories that were not in the results. By the way, just in case this helps, under TTS Error: it says N/A, Validation Diagnostic: is blank and Resolution Status: is not in dark print so I guess it wasn't used during the diagnostic.
Thank you for taking a look at all of this for me.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Well really it needs a tech to understand this and I am waiting their input so we haven't gone forward. It looks like the validation hasn't been completed though. But then it wouldn't if you haven't been able to get into your system.

Meantime I will keep looking for an answer and hopefully someone in the tech section will have a solution.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Further to my last post, I know you have been to Microsoft but what about this one:

https://support.micr...prid=14019&st=1

Might be worth a shot. :D

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I just sent them an e-mail. Maybe they'll be able to provide some help. By the way, did the scans I did over the last few days reveal any malware? Thanks for the link.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

By the way, did the scans I did over the last few days reveal any malware?

No nothing of significance. There were a couple of things (Ask Toolbars) that sometimes cause problems and bring other stuff with them but nothing that I could see that might be the cause of this.

I don't think this is caused by Malware. It's possible that the update thing was a leftover from the past but I am not convinced about that. There was one update in November which did cause problems on some computers with later updates. That Mr Fixit one we looked at might solve that one if we can get you working in normal mode.

McAfee though can sometimes interfere with things and I do wonder whether it was a security program that might have been getting in the way. I still see Windows Defender and SuperAntiSpyware there and down the track it might be worth checking them out.

Meantime I have a response from the techies. The first suggestion is to try a Win7 Startup Repair. Go to the link below for instructions:

http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html

Tell me how you get on. :D

Kazak

Kazak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the malware update. I followed the directions for the Startup Repair while booting up from the Win 7 disc. It says to do it 3-times. I went through the process 4-times just to make sure I was getting it done. However, each time the results were: "Startup could not find a problem." I booted into to normal windows a couple of times including just now & still can't log in.