Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i use windows on new hard drive going into the same pc?

• Please log in to reply

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey all, I am planning on switching from a hdd as a boot drive to a ssd, I am wondering if it will install on the ssd with the license i already have or will i have to buy windows all over again? if this is the case, i doubt i will go through with the upgrade.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I am wondering if it will install on the ssd with the license i already have

Yes.

If the OS is a retell version, you can install it on a complete new build using the existing licence.

If it is reinstalled on a branded computer, IE, HP. Dell, You can change most parts and use the OEM existing licence, but you cannot change the motherboard, counts as a new build.

adanniels

adanniels

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok so as long as i don't change the motherboard it will work. GOOD, thanks Iammykyl.

Mine isn't a branded computer, it is a handbuilt gaming pc, it was also made using the system builder pack, will that cause any problems?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Mine isn't a branded computer, it is a handbuilt gaming pc, it was also made using the system builder pack, will that cause any problems?

No. System builders pack is an OEM licensed version of the OS.