Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista to Windows 7 install

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My computer came with vista on it but it came with a free upgrade to windows 7. However i don't want to lose all my programs because I don't have the CD's to reinstall. Is it possible to upgrade without losing my programs...and also without spending any more money...

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it's an "upgrade" CD it should install from within Windows Vista without having to boot from it.
In that case, all your existing applications will not be removed, but bear in mind that some of them may not run on Windows 7, depending on how old they are.

Also bear in mind that, although Windows 7 contains many more device drivers than Vista, you may still find that you'll need to download some missing drivers from the PC manufacturer's website. Check in Device Manager when Win7 installation is complete. That will tell you whether there are any missing or incompatible drivers you need to deal with.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have Microsoft Office 2003 still... I think thats the oldest software i have on there cus the computers only a year old.

And if it is going to delete my programs and files, it should give me a warning right?