Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Printing problem

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I got a new printer for christmas... its an hp photosmart plus and it has the capability to do wireless printing.

My router is all hooked up and running on a secured network. I've got full signal strength and internets running great on it.

However I can't get my printer to work wirelessly. It will work if I plug in the usb cord but I wanted to put the printer in the next room so i really want this wireless to work. At first it was saying it was connected and it was printing a wireless test sheet. but it wasn't printing any actual pages that i send to the printer. it just comes up with a message saying "there was an error in the printing system". So i tried to set it up on a usb and then do a usb to wireless install. so now its working on usb but the computer isn't even recognizing the printer anymore when i try to use it wirelessly and unplug the usb. I'm lost.

Edited by kate0558, 03 February 2011 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Kate,

I feel your pain, been there, got frustrated, didn`t want the T shirt but ended up wearing it. Wireless printer set up can be a serious game sometimes. Very difficult to advise over a forum I`m afraid hence the 0 replies you have so far. I`ll do my best to help you out if I can with a couple of suggestions

REMOVE ALL PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED SOFTWARE FOR THE PRINTER

1) Load your setup CD and look for an application or software install that will allows you to setup wireless printing through a wizard based format. Make sure when you do the wizard, you select NOT a first time install, you need to select additional pc set up, otherwise you are loading the USB driver, as the printer needs to be connected to usb for first time set up so the first time configs can be made, this is generally the mistake most people make

2) Check in your printer network settings (this should be on your printer in the menu system somewhere) check to see if your router is giving an ip address to the printer itself. If the printer wireless is showing full signal that means its connected to the router, you should find somewhere in the menu on the printer the ip address of the printer itself. If you find the printer does have an ip address, something along the lines of 192.168.1.3 or something similar thats a good thing as it means the router is dishing out the ips to your devices on your wireless network.

3) If you find your printer does have an ip the problem is likely with your desktop PC, this is set up to print over usb but doesn`t have the correct driver for the printer when it comes to wireless, in other words your pc does not know how to use your printer over wireless because it doesn`t have the driver installed to tell the pc how to use the printer, obviously when the pc is plugged in via usb this isn`t the case and your pc knows exactly how to use the printer. You need to perhaps try adding a network printer, this is in your control panel and then network devices you should be able to scan for a network printer, if you pc picks it up you should be able to load the driver for it from the cd and then your pc will know how to print over a wireless network using your printer, its a simple case of the pc doesn`t have the required driver to run wireless, as soon as this is loaded it will spark up into action

Have a mess around with some of the above ideas and give us an update I`ll try to help from there if none of the above helps

Edited by chemicalbrother, 12 February 2011 - 12:20 PM.