Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home File Sharing on Networks malfunction

• Please log in to reply

itfirefighter

itfirefighter

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is the situation. I have 2 PCs both with XP Home SP1 running and connected thru a Linksys router. Both have shared folders on the C drive that the other system can see and access for the most part. PC1 houses a share called Docs where all WordPerfect files are stored. The permissions of the share allow Everyone and Network Full Control that I set by accessing in Safe Mode as the Administrator and propagating the permissions to all files.

The problem is with new files created by PC1 and stored in Docs on PC1 can't be opened by the user on PC2. PC2 has not trouble seeing the share and locating the file. All files created prior to the share can be read and modified. But files created after the share do no inherit the same permissions.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Perhaps im not understanding correctly, but why are you messing with permissions? In XP home you can access all shares with simple file sharing.

itfirefighter

itfirefighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just trying to keep things brief. The problem was exactly the same using simple file sharing. When I set up the share older files could all be read but newly created files could not be opened across the share. (I have looked at what the new file permissions are: Creator, Admin, System).

I believe it must be with the NTFS permissions because the share works great. I added Network and Everyone to the NTFS. It is just that new files are suffering from inadequate NTFS permissions.

Any ideas why the newly created Wordperfect files are not inheriting the folder permissions? :tazz:

Edited by itfirefighter, 28 May 2005 - 12:11 PM.

itfirefighter

itfirefighter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, for anyone following this thread. The issue with the NTFS privileges not being passed along to new files was a WordPerfect 11 issue that gets remedied when installing Service pack 2.

That's it. Did, tested and it worked. :tazz: