Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to uninstall AVG-Even from Control Pannel

• Please log in to reply

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have the AVG 2011 30-day Free Trial. Well, I have a new anti-virus program I would like to put on my computer. I tried to remove it via my control panel and it gave me a general internal error and it said it failed uninstall the program.

Also when I try to download things off firefox I get the message :

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location.

That started appearing once I saw a file folder on my desktop labeled: %USERPROFILE%

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello WilliamRP1988 , yes, that new AVG has been a real PAIN! You will need to go to AVG website, and download the REMOVAL tool . I am not sure if we have one here, but I will look for you. When you removed it from add & remove programs, it left residue :D I'll see if I can find you a removal tool here, hang on!

EDIT! OK, got it Go here and download the tool and run it It will remove it from your computer. :
AVG Removal Tool That should get you ready for a nice fresh AV! :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 04 February 2011 - 02:29 PM.

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Tee Cee! Unfortunately, it requires a download!

As I said before, a folder appeared on my desktop- how it got there I am not aware of as it was not there last night.

The folder was named: %USERPROFILE%

So now when I try to download something it gives me the error message:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location.

Then it gives me an error webpage that says:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at http://aa-download.a..._2011_1184.exe.

* Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.

* Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi William it's me again. Have you tried to download it using IE?

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have tried IE rshaffer61 , but it runs very slowly- sometimes it doesn't even load up webpages.

I'm think I should just do a restore, what do you think?

Edited by WilliamRP1988, 04 February 2011 - 04:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same system we were dealing with before?
A complete format and reinstall should take care of anything but that means the loss of all data if you don't have it backed up. :D

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes this is the same system, rshaffer61. However, is there a a restoration option that doesn't erase your OS? Cause I don't have the money to buy another 150$ key code from Microsoft. My father had to buy like four cause it wasn't installing properly on the original system before Installed the new graphics card. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why would you buy another key code?
If this is the same system that the OS originally installed on you simply need to call Microsoft and they will help you. I'm lazy today so I'll ask, do you have the original OS installation disk?

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No, it was my dads CD, but the key codes was bought to install the OS on my computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm ok but you have installed it on this system and bought a new code correct?

Advertisements

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, it is a new code.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if the new code was bought specifically for this system then you have a authentic genuine code for this system.
You use it to install and when it says you need to call Microsoft to get a new code it won't cost you anything cause you in reality have changed nothing so that number is still valid.
Microsoft understands that and will help you with authentication for the new install.

WilliamRP1988

WilliamRP1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, rshaffer61, The system restore didn't do anything. I could only restore back as far as two day ago. Not very helpful. I still have that strange folder on my desktop. :D I'm frustramerated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System restore is not the option anymore.
A format and fresh install is what you need to do or try a Repair Installation.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi there,

Do you not perhaps have a friend who could download Firefox and the AVG uninstaller for you, and give it to you on a flashdrive? Then you can try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling the clean version, and the same with AVG.

You could also try to manually delete the AVG files, but that may cause some instability if you miss some, which is quite likely, since programme files are often saved in obscure places on your HDD.

My best solution, however, to uninstall AVG, is to use a free programme called Revo Uninstaller - I've found that to be quite handy in removing programmes that refuse to be removed with the usual methods. It also means you won't have to format your PC (I hate formatting my PC, and never do that unless I've exhausted all other options). If you can sort your Firefox out (or try using Opera, since Firefox isn't working and IE is slow), or if you can get a friend to download it for you, you can find it here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I hope that's helpful.