Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk loop/safe mode boot freezes/no xp cd - factory installation/dia

• Please log in to reply

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello knowledgeable people!

I am trying to troubleshoot my mom's computer before shipping it off to get fixed. The following is what I know, what I have tried, and what I have encountered thus far. (Please bear with my lack of proper terminology and computer knowledge :})

Her desktop computer is about three/four years old. It is an HP Pavillion with Windows XP Media Center (pretty sure but can't check right now as it is in the middle of a chkdsk). It is partitioned into 2 drives and I believe the D: is dedicated to recovery. Tons of space on her C:/. This computer came with the factory install and she was not given the OS or any other installation CD's.

A previous AV and malware check revealed some issues which were successfully quarantined. However, the next day (after a proper shutdown and start) the Malware scan froze. It wouldn't soft boot so she did a hard boot.

Upon reboot, the chkdsk ran automatically. It found an Usn Journal error which was fixed as the following chkdsk revealed. However, after the chkdsk reported all stages as ok, it would still loop. Skipping the chkdsk allows the safe mode menu to come up but all options (safe, safe w/ and w/o networking, safe w/dos, last known, and normal) freeze at the driver */mup.sys. I tried the diagnostic check options and all hardware, memory, and CPU, etc tested as OK. So it appears that it is not a hardware issue according to the other threads I have read. I am not sure what other pertinent information might be needed.

So, that's where I am at. I have read the associated threads and tried the suggestions but the above is where I am. I am not sure what else to try. I will try to see if the company (Best Buy) has her purchase on record and get the installation cd's. Or, is it hopeless? Will she have to purchase new installation CD's? Can you even do that? Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alex

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello leo4beach.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, ;)
:D :D

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Below are the instructions on how to do the repair.

The most common cause is the executing PnP (Plug and Play) and ACPI routines issue.
To fix the issue, we need to access the computer from Recovery Console.

If you do have your Windows CD

1. To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
  • Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
  • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

2. Type map and press enter.
It will give you the drive letters.
Note down the letter of you CD-ROM.
If it is a letter other than E you should replace the letter E with your CD drive letter when applying the expand command later on if the command is needed to be applied.

Type following commmands, pressing Enter after each one.
  • ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys atapi.old
    (It will returns to the prompt again without notification)
  • copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\atapi.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (If you get a notification "1 file(s) copied" you don't need to do the next expand command and go to exit command. But if you get notification that the file doesn't exist proceed with expand command)
  • expand e:\I386\atapi.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (You should be notified that the file expanded)
  • exit

You may remove the CD or let Windows boot normally.

If you don't have your Windows CD
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Then, follow instructions from Step #1 above.

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try the no CD version and get back to you...

Ok. here is the message I got.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down ..." It says to check that the HD has been properly configured and terminated and to run a chkdsk /F (which we know I can't do... sigh).
"Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I think that was it for the listing though I can't be sure since the screen won't display the full line.

I am going to try once more...

Ok. So, I was able to access the Recovery Console but through a different method. In the Media Edition, there is a black screen that appears really fast and if you are fast enough you can select it. So, I was able to complete step 1 and 2! However, upon reboot, it went back to chkdsk again. I didn't catch it in time to stop it so I will let it go through and see what happens. So far, it is on stage 4 (file data) and no problems reported. Also, there is an option when in the Recovery Console to press F8 for more advanced options. Should I explore? lolol! Yeah, dangerous thought! Does the above error foretell a new computer purchase in the future?

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Kind regards,
Alex

Thank you for all of your help so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explanation of stop code:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Did you download the ARCDC and then run it as instructed to create the bootable cd. Then go back to step 1 using the newly created disk to boot the system?
It sounds by your description that your system did not boot to the disk but to your hd instead.
Did you change the boot sequence in the bios to make the cdrom the first boot device?

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes. yes. yes. ;O)

I did create the CD. I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS. I don't know for sure whether it booted from the CD drive or not but the lights were flashing! I was able to follow the instructions to completion. Everything seemed fine except that it went right back to the chkdsk. Is there any way to tell if it booted from the CD or not? If it did boot from the CD, what are the other possible explanations and solutions?

Thank you again. Having re-read your post I must say that I really appreciate your time and dedication as a volunteer. You are helping on more than a technical level!

Kind regards,

Alex

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

I read the MSDN article. How would I edit the Boot.ini file? I will try the F8 option. More later...

oh wait, I found something on bootcfg (edits the boot.ini file) but what do i put after?

Kind regards,

Alex

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually when you boot to the OS installation disk or the ARDC it will prompt you to Press any key to boot to cd.
What in the boot.ini file are you trying to change?

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thank you again for responding. In response to your query...

You indicated there was an MSDN article I could read. I did. It said that there could be a boot.ini problem and that the file would need to be edited. That's all. I am not trying to change anything unless necessary. As for the "Press any key to boot to cd" message, it did come up and it did boot from the cd but still the same thing keeps happening... looping chkdsk or hanging at the drives/Mup.sys

Kind regards,
Alex

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If we can't get through the steps to repair the mup.sys then the only other known resolution is to format and install the OS fresh.
It does not seem by your description that you are booting to the cdrom.
I just corrected 2 systems here at home from neighbors with exactly the same issue.
Something is not working right or we have a different hardware issue to find.
Please do the following and let me know the results.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again!

Thank you for all of your suggestions and patience. I appreciate your time and effort.

Update:

We had a friend come by and we went through some things. We were booting from the CD. The message came up that said something along the line of if you want to boot from the CD then press any key. So, we did that and we still didn't have any success. In the end we removed the HD from the system box and put it in an external drive box. Then we hooked up the external drive (with the "suspect" HD) to my laptop. We copied the data files from the suspect drive to another external drive (rather than copying to my laptop). We then re-attached the old HD back to the system box and then did a fresh install of the OS (but this time we used Windows 7. It didn't work with XP. It still went back to the looping and freezing. The fresh install of Windows 7 from CD seemed to take of the issues. We have no idea why we couldn't repair it with the XP install disk.

Anywho, we are re-installing our software and so far all is good. The computer has been rebooted a couple of times now and none of the same issues have presented themselves.

Alas, it still remains a mystery because if there were issues with the HD then one would assume that they would remain even if a new OS was installed. As for the boot device issue, well, I don't have the knowledge to even begin to ponder what was happening.

So, thank you once again. I appreciate everything. Knowing that I was getting help, lessened the stress considerably. I hope that this thread will also be able to help others.

May all your generosity be returned abundantly.

Kind regards,
Alex

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. ;) :D
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To you! :D and a happy dance! :D

You are the master! :D

Please don't take it personally if I say I hope we have no reason to speak again! :D

metta, ;)

Alex

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hope you will remain a active member here at GTG and enjoy the wealth of knowledge by not only the Staff but other members. You are welcome to add any suggestion to a topic here except for the Malware forum as only those specifically trained can assist there.
Thank you again for your patience and for allowing us here at GTG to assist you.
Your appreciation is why I'm here to help. :D :D ;) :D

leo4beach

leo4beach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
not sure how much I can add but I will definitely remain a member!

Best to all,

A.