Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install both 32 bit & 64 Windows -7 on same HDD ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Partition 1 has Win XP & Partition 2 has Windows -7 ( 32 bit ) ( Ultimate Version )

I am getting a new machine with i-7 Processor & 12 GB RAM, 1 GB ATI Video card & 500 GB HDD.

Can I format the Win XP partition & install 64 bit version of Windows 7 & use that HDD in new machine by booting 64 bit version ?

Meaning can I have both 32 bit & 64 bit versions of Windows -7 in 2 different partitions on the same HDD so that I can use that hard drive in both machines, the old and the new ?

That way I can boot 32 bit when I put that HDD in old M/C and boot 64 bit when I use the same HDD in new Machine ?

The reason is this :

I have Five 500 GB internal HDDs.

Currently in my old machine I have 2 drive slots & I clone my HDDs twice a week as a back up. In my new machine there is only one slot & since all of my HDDs are internal, I can not clone them in new machine. So I will be using old machine just for clonning HDDs twice a week.

Sounds crazy but I will appreciate all Ideas.

By the way XP Partition is Primary & I will be installing 64 bit Win 7 in Primary partition. Will that make any difference ?

I do have Acronis Disk Director to make any changes required.

Thank You.

Edited by georgetok, 07 February 2011 - 01:56 AM.

Advertisements