Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reloading

• Please log in to reply

alymier

alymier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow, thank God for this forum!
I'm having serious problems with my computer, and I know all I have to do is reinstall Windows XP, but I just can't seem to get something right.
My computer was infected with a few Trojans after my friend installed an exe file he dl'd off Kazaa. I went through the steps to try to erradicate them, but it just didn't seem to work. I'm not too computer-familiar, but I can follow instructions.
In one of the instructions, it told you to turn off the System Restore, and in doing so, I lost all of my beloved checkpoints. THEN i don't know what happened-- I don't know if it was some virus or Trojan, but I could no longer even go onto the internet. it's like somethign got changed as to keep me from going online. and restoring Winwows to an earlier time was no longer an option.
So what I've got now is a MESS, everytime I turn on the computer, like 35 different processes start running at start-up. and connecting to the internet is helpless. I managed to back up everything, so now what I want to do is just completely WIPE my computer and start all over.
However, all the OS reinstallation disk does is reinstall XP again on TOP of it. when it asked me about partitions, there were two things to select from. And when I tried to reinstall windows XP over the 'partition' (still not sure what that means lol), it wouldn't let me. it said it already had an OS.
So my question is, how do I completely wipe my computer of everything? It probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'd be grateful for any help!!! BTW, it's a Dell. Thanks so much for your time.

Al

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Al, welcome to GTG! <_<

BTW, it's a Dell.

Do you have a Dell system restore disk?