Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x0000007e while installing vista

• Please log in to reply

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Installing Vista on a new HD, after "loading windows files" it went to a blue screen with "technical information: STOP: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff80009abce76, 0xfffff98001afd688, 0xfffff98001afd060)

i removed one of my memory sticks and restarted, it actually started installing, picked my language and disk and all that, but then all the sudden DUN DUN DUNNNnn. Blue screen, same info. Should i continue playing with the memory or dont bother? I really want to get this thing working.

MB- Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4
HD- Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806

I would suspect
1. Faulty ram
2. Other Faulty hardware, very likely graphics card.

I would check the seating of the ram and other hardware.

I would run Memtest - do you know how or do you wish the program .

NB I would also check the CD for fingerprints etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 February 2011 - 05:12 PM.

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply, i REALLY REALLY hope its not the graphics card. But ill look into those suggestion alittle more, thank you.

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
BTW, i dont know how to do a mem test with only bios running.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Memtest
See this guide please and download the latest version of Memtest.
It is an ISO so you will need to use the burning program on the link to burn the image.

http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

As you stated that the install actually ran when you removed one of the memory modules I would advise you to check the connections on the ram sticks, a very SOFT eraser ie: soft rubber is ideal - do not use a spirit based cleaner.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 10:38 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That motherboard has onboard graphics - are you using those or DO you have a separate card.
If you do have a separate graphics card I would tend towards connecting to the onboard graphics and setting the BIOS to use onboard graphics.
This would be a quite effective check on the grpahics aspect.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 10:56 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thought this may help for Memtest

MEMTEST

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Posted with acknowledgment to- rshaffer61 and other contributors to this

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 08:32 PM.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm new here, but since I have a PC on my bench doing the 7E Stop Error, which I don't seem to be able to fix, I am reading this thread with GREAT interest.

This PC is only about a year old, it's an ACER mini desktop with integrated video and two sticks of ram.
I share this question with the OP, , , "why would the PC run perfectly GOOD in Safe Mode, even going on the internet, with no BSOD's at all, but just booting up in Normal mode goes right to the dreaded 7E BSOD?

I've taken the HD out and connected it to my own desktop as a slave drive, where I ran all my Anti-Malware
software on it and repeated 'CHKDSK /r /f' on it

I don't remember the OP asking this exact question, but it's definitely pertinent to the conversation.
I'm not trying to hijack his thread, but just throw another log on the fire.

When I searched the web for a fix for this problem, I found a fix in the form of a program to download,
but every time I click on the "Download" button, I get a file not found type of error. So here I am,
looking for the same answer as the OP.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow :D

PS: I've been advised that I'm in error commenting on this topic, but that I need to start my own thread on exactly the same topic. :D

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 09:24 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TheShadowFL
Welcome to GeekstoGo.
PLEASE start your own thread. It becomes total confusion to try and help two people on one thread.
Once you do so I will send you the first method you should use to establish the cause.

Please EDIT this thread to indicate that you have so done.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 February 2011 - 08:50 AM.

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran a memory test, did about 11 passes, do i need to turn off Cache or anything like that? Thought i remembered reading somewhere that having cache on will give me an inaccurate result.

I am running over a seperate video card also. Im gonna run the test again, but longer this time, if still nothing ill change video to MB.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. How much ram is in the machine and in how many sticks.

The good thing about Memtest is that any error reported is unaffected by running in the mode as supplied.. In otherwords it will not produce an error if there is NOT one.
I do not have sufficient knowledge of the program to tell you if you should turn Cache off.

However on the INSTALL - I fail to see how an error, undetected by MEMTEST in its normal commissioned mode could affect the install.

Memtest having run on 11 passes without error -
I now suspect that the removing of one stick of ram and the extra progress made is a red herring.
I am going with as in my first post -
Faulty hardware
Damaged CD

Having now examined the motherboard spec:
Is the ram fitted dual channel
Is this the ONLY HDD in that computer OR is this a replacement for what was a drive of a RAID array

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 February 2011 - 05:47 PM.