Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change system Language

• Please log in to reply

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, here's the deal, I have windows 7 Pro in Spanish, it's a long story as to why it's in Spanish, but the thing is, I would like it to be English. Now I have an a dvd to install windows in English, but I really, really don't want to reinstall windows, it's not so much the time it takes, but more the fact that my product key has an issue and I have to call Microsoft every time I reinstall, and I know they're keeping track of how many times I call, or how many times I install, and I don't want my key to be blacklisted.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way that anyone knows, that I can go into the repair console, or something and transfer all the English files, and replace the Spanish files or something along those lines. Or if someone had a link to a walk-through on how to change the language on Windows 7 Pro, it would be fantastic.

I'm not in any rush, and I know it's claimed that you can't change the language in 7 Pro, but I figured if I had the English install dvd it would make it more likely. Any suggestions, or any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

but more the fact that my product key has an issue and I have to call Microsoft every time I reinstall, and I know they're keeping track of how many times I call, or how many times I install, and I don't want my key to be blacklisted.

The short, quick and to the point answer, for the actual posted problem is NO you CANNOT do what you want. Not within the normal MIcrosoft procedures.

However, whilst I will of course readily stand corrected by one of the more experienced members
your quote above and the installation in Spanish, the explanation of which is a long story, lead me to conclude that I should NOT offer further help.

Log2

Log2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, if you'd like me to explain, I called MS when I needed to do a reinstall, they said they would gladly send me a new disc to do the install, I said great, so I should expect it in 3 days? they said, hahaha no... try 4 weeks... so I found windows 7 pro online, downloaded it and installed it, the only problem was that I could only install it in Spanish. However, I even asked MS about that, there's nothing illegal about what I've done, I purchased windows legally, and used my own product key, therefore I am not breaking any rules or any laws. Microsoft told me to download at my own risk as there may be standalone software or modified files in the copy I download. 5 weeks later my shinny new copy of windows 7 pro arrives and I decide not to install it, because I already know the layout of windows, so I haven't had a problem navigating, or reading the error messages, and I didn't want to reinstall windows and all the programs that I've installed.

EDIT: The quote you posted shows that I have my own product key, because I think you're allowed to install windows 10 times, then you have to buy a new one... so I prefer not to reinstall

Edited by Log2, 08 February 2011 - 06:56 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I find it very difficult to believe that Microsoft would condone downloading Windows code from a third party for any reason. However, they have 90K+ employees, and they are bound to offer poor advice at times. It also sounds as though you are trying to get genuine, so we'll offer advice.

You have 2 options. Perform an upgrade install from within Windows 7 using the genuine media, or do an anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate (which supports multiple languages).

Log2

Log2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
no you misunderstand, I am genuine, everything is installed and working properly, the only thing is that it's Spanish and I would like it to be English without having to reinstall my system. I don't care that it's in Spanish, it's just a mild inconvenience, I would prefer it to be in English, however I also know that the only way to change the language is with a language pack on Ultimate or Enterprise.

So I was wondering if there was anyone who knew if there was a way to use the recovery console or something similar to replace the Spanish files with English ones.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No, you cannot simply replace the Spanish files with English ones.

You need to install the English version.

Log2

Log2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Any other input? Maybe with a little reasoning behind it? Because in a technical aspect, you should be able to replace the files, as the file names don't change, just the world language, meaning the coding language is the same, obviously. So I would like to know if someone knows why it wouldn't be possible either, or if someone knows of a way to do it :D

Log2

Log2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hey, I managed to figure it out, thanks for your help

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Care to share how you resolved it? It may help others with the same issue.

Log2

Log2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yes sir, I posted it as a tutorial in the tutorial section, if it gets posted I will edit this response with a link to the tutorial