Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot - Long Beeps...

• Please log in to reply

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Just to add to what the other guys have suggested, try removing all Ram and powering up to see if the beep pattern changes in any way also try clearing the CMOS in case of a bad MB setting, to do this remove the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MB back to the default factory settings so upon boot up you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save the settings, exit and press Y to accept the changes, this is an outside shot but when testing I would alway try it.

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the battery .jpeg

Not sure if this means anything, but today I removed both (all) RAM sticks and tried to boot and the beep code changed, instead of 1 long 10 second beep followed by a 10 second pause, it was 1 short, then 1 long beep. Does this mean anything?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
In no way is it conclusive but as the beep code changed when all of the Ram was removed it may suggest that the PSU and Ram are not the issue, the integrated video chip would now seem a possible culprit.
Your MB has both a PCI and a PCI Express X16 slot so if you have or could loan either type of graphics card it would help to identify whether or not the onboard GFX chip is bad.
I know you have checked out the Phoenix BIOS beep codes but I have attached a link to them for others should they need them http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml
Interestingly the new error beeps you are now getting are not listed either.

Edit: I forgot to ask, did you also try clearing the CMOS as I suggested.

Edited by phillpower2, 13 February 2011 - 05:32 PM.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

In no way is it conclusive but as the beep code changed when all of the Ram was removed it may suggest that the PSU and Ram are not the issue, the integrated video chip would now seem a possible culprit.
Your MB has both a PCI and a PCI Express X16 slot so if you have or could loan either type of graphics card it would help to identify whether or not the onboard GFX chip is bad.
I know you have checked out the Phoenix BIOS beep codes but I have attached a link to them for others should they need them http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml
Interestingly the new error beeps you are now getting are not listed either.

Edit: I forgot to ask, did you also try clearing the CMOS as I suggested.

I haven't tried to clear the CMOS, I was a bit nervous to do that as I've never done it. I may just go ahead and replace the moboard as well as the PSU at this point. The new board brand is more reliable, plus it gives me the ability to upgrade my RAM much more than my current board does as it only allows up to 4 gigs of RAM. So I think a swap with a fresh moboard and PSU might be the way to go at this point.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I haven't tried to clear the CMOS, I was a bit nervous to do that as I've never done it.

Nothing to it, simply remove the CR2032 battery and replace it as described, it may save you both time and money.

So I think a swap with a fresh moboard and PSU might be the way to go at this point.

It is your decision alone to make but wouldn`t you like to still try and fix it anyway.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I haven't tried to clear the CMOS, I was a bit nervous to do that as I've never done it.

Nothing to it, simply remove the CR2032 battery and replace it as described, it may save you both time and money.

So I think a swap with a fresh moboard and PSU might be the way to go at this point.

It is your decision alone to make but wouldn`t you like to still try and fix it anyway.

Ok, I'll go ahead and try to clear the CMOS. And you're right,I should attempt to fix it. I'm hopefully borrowing a PCI video card today, so I can try that tonight as well. I'll report back. Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok, good luck.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, good luck.
[/quote]

Just checked here at work and they've only got spare AGP cards, so I'm afraid that I won't be able to try a video card to see if that's the issue. And I wanted to tell you that I tried removing the CMOS last night and couldn't figure out how to remove it, it's under these little grooves.. perhaps my CMOS is not removable? Here's a pic of my moboard with the CMOS to give you an idea of what I mean...

moboard.jpg [quote name='phillpower2' timestamp='1297789730' post='1968864']

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I tried removing the CMOS last night and couldn't figure out how to remove it

See post #12 Only the CMOS battery is removed, take a close look and you will see a spring
clip on the side of the battery holder, depress the clip and the battery will pop up, you only
need to keep it out for a few moments and then gently press it back in.

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I tried removing the CMOS last night and couldn't figure out how to remove it

See post #12 Only the CMOS battery is removed, take a close look and you will see a spring
clip on the side of the battery holder, depress the clip and the battery will pop up, you only
need to keep it out for a few moments and then gently press it back in.

It appears that my CMOS must be cleared with jumper settings, found it on this page: http://h10025.www1.h...c=en&cc=us#N519

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Removing the battery does exactly the same thing but is not as fiddly as trying to replace a jumper cap back on the correct pins (unless you happen to be a surgeon :D )

Advertisements

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Removing the battery does exactly the same thing but is not as fiddly as trying to replace a jumper cap back on the correct pins (unless you happen to be a surgeon :D )

Ok, I see what you mean. I'll find something small to push down the spring. I'll report back the results. Thanks again Phillpower

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok, tried the CMOS and still get the same beeps, time for a new moboard. I know which one I need, I'll order it off of Newegg tonight along with a new PSU as suggested. With this particular moboard, I've read that no reinstall of windows was necessary, this is from people who have replaced moboard with my particular PC with this new one, so that's encouraging. It would be nice to boot up and have everything the same as before!

Also, I've never replaced a moboard before. Don't think I'm comfortable enough to try it myself at this point. I called around and got different prices, one computer shop said they'd do it for $55, is this a decent price?

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
that's a fairly good price, it shouldn't take a qualified person more than 20 minutes to replace it, and computer shops usually charge 60-80 bucks for labour, so you might be able to find a better price if you go to a small computer store, and tell them the situation.

As for the reinstall, most of the times you apparently don't need to reinstall, but it's my recommendation to backup everything you have once you get in, then reinstall, as it most likely will cause problems down the road. However, if you do backup, and choose not to reinstall, just make sure you backup constantly so that if/when it fails, you can reinstall the OS

sonicdeth

sonicdeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Last night I went on NewEgg and ordered a new mobo, Intel DG43GT, it was like 84 bucks,then I got a Fortron Power Supply (I read Fortron is a reliable brand, and this particular one got great reviews on NewEgg), that was like $35.99. So once that arrives I'll take it to the shop an have them put it all in. It's a few bucks I'm putting out, but this might be worth it in the long run, putting in hardware that's a bit more reliable than what was in there. Plus another great thing is that this new moboard allows me to add about 2x more RAM than my previous one did, but I'll hold out till I get some extra cash before juicing it up with more RAM, right now I just want my PC back!