Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In-place upgrade errors in windows 7

• Please log in to reply

pcconsultantsswmi

pcconsultantsswmi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, I'm a PC Tech in Michigan and I've got a windows 7 box that's giving me a contradicting set of error messages while I'm trying to do an in-place upgrade to repair the windows 7 system files. It's giving me errors about upgrading a 32-bit installation to 64-bit and vice-versa...at the same time. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

The installation that I'm trying to repair in this manner is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I'm using a 64-bit disc to try this.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Does this help, scroll down to repair - upgrade supported paths.
http://technet.micro...579(WS.10).aspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 February 2011 - 06:18 PM.

pcconsultantsswmi

pcconsultantsswmi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm afraid not, as I'm meeting all of the criteria listed in the aforementioned document. I apologize for the delay in my response as the company was closed for the weekend and I didn't have the time to respond. The customer has decided to just go ahead and have me wipe his computer and reinstall windows from the ground up. Thank you, however, for taking the time to try to help me. I do appreciate it.

I still think it's weird how I got a message for both cross architecture upgrades being invalid when I was using a 64-bit disc on 64-bit windows of the same version (home premium)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry it did not help.
The only conclusion I can come to is that a critical element of the exisiting installation - driver etc was a 32 bit driver and presumably the error causing the need for the repair was also responsible for the error message on the attempted repair.in place upgrade.