Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unwanted pop-ups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello again,

My worst fear happened, I started to install the Windows home XP disc, it was going ok until an error message came up
"file\ii386\halacpi.dll could not be loaded, the error code is 8192, set up cannot continue.

I had a feeling it needed my older windows 98 disc first so inserted that, "Windows 98 is formatting your hard drive".
It formatted and installlled but when it had finished it asked me for the authentication code which luckily I had written
down all those years ago in an address book, but it does not recognise the 25 digit code.
There are no o's or 0's to get muddled up either.

So I am in trouble, I do not have access to another PC and am isolated here so I went to buy a laptop so I could post here.
In the shop I explained my problem and they said if my XP disc was an upgrade and not a full version it could cause this error.
I just checked and it is an upgrade which is annoying because I assumed I was purchasing a full version disc when I bought it
in 2005/6.

I would like to get the PC working again, apparently windows 7 will not run on it because my SDRAM is 512mb. I would like to run
Windows XP as I like that OS but nowhere sells it now unless I get one from Ebay, as long as it is new and genuine.

Really bad day.
I hope you can help get the PC back up and running again.

In the meanwhile I will download all those suggestions in the malware and spyware cleaning guide to this laptop to help protect it. I mean this thread

http://www.geekstogo...safe-computing/

Edited by bluetown, 11 February 2011 - 08:40 AM.

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I'm sorry to hear that. So, what we have now is Windows XP Upgrade CD and also Windows 98 CD. You also have Windows XP license key. Is that correct?

During install did you get this screen below?
Posted Image

Edited by Render, 13 February 2011 - 06:10 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi Render,

Yes I have a genuine windows 98 cd but the authentication code does not work.
I have a genuine windows xp home edition update/upgrade cd with code.

No I did not get that blue page up.
I only got the error message I posted in my previous post.

I have found a new genuine windows home xp cd on ebay, shall I get one?

Edit for spelling.

Edited by bluetown, 12 February 2011 - 02:17 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
You should enter licence key for Windows XP not Win 98.

I have found a new genuine windows home xp cd on ebay, shall I get one?

Not for now.

OK. Now, please enter BIOS and look for AHCI entry. If you find it disable it and save and exit BIOS.

Edited by Render, 12 February 2011 - 06:23 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ok done that and saved.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Please try to install Windows XP once more.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
OK, it inspects hardwarwe, all is fine then I get the blue Windows set up screen.

After a short while I get this message.

"File \i386\hal.dll could not be loaded.
The error code is 7
set up cannot continue.
Press any ket to exit"

Editing to ask the name of the viruses you mentioned on the first page, just curious as I never did ask you.

Edited by bluetown, 12 February 2011 - 12:45 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I suspected one of TDL rootkit variants as a main infection.

OK. Is it possible you have a damaged CD or a faulty cd/dvd drive?

Try one more time and:
  • During the Text-mode phase of the Setup program, when you receive the following message across the bottom of the screen, press F5: Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.Note If you press F7, the Standard PC HAL loads and the ACPI compliance check is bypassed
  • You receive the following list of computer types. A brief description of each HAL is included here:
  • ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    Applies to a multiple-processor ACPI computer.
  • ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Applies to an ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed.
  • Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    Applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor.
  • Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
    Applies to a Compaq SystemPro computer.
  • MPS Uniprocessor PC
    Applies to non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed.
  • MPS Multiprocessor PC
    Applies to non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running.
  • Standard PC
    Applies to any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. The CPU may be a 386, a 486, a Pentium, a Pentium II, or a Pentium III.
  • Standard PC with C-Step i486
  • Other
Note: The screen displays only two computer types at a time. To scroll up or down to view the complete list, use the arrow keys

Choose Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. Let's see if this will do the trick.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I keep the disc in it's original packaging and only ever used it twice, that was to upgrade from the 98 disc.
I do not think it is damaged.

As for the dvd drive, I hardly ever use it but it seems to work fine.

In my very unexperienced opinion I think the problem is because I am trying to install with an upgrade disc.
It probably would have worked fine if my 98 authentication code had worked and installed 98 first.

But because it formatted while I was installing 98 I have no OS and therefore need a full version.

I will be honest with you, I now feel well out of my depth with those latest instructions. I struggled with the previous.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... Then I see no alternative but to purchase full version of Windows XP setup CD. :D

What you say?

Advertisements

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I think that's a good idea.
That way I have a chance of getting the PC going again, the rest is just too complicated for me.

Thanks for you help and time.

There were a few New OEM windows xp home CD's that sold on Ebay for around £40 yesterday from the UK.

Don't see any closing today so will try to get one in the next couple of days.

Would rather order from the UK because postage will be quicker but this guy Germany has some

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item230e2b2b66

If/when I get a cd I assume I need to go into BIOS and look for AHCI entry and change it back to enable?

Then do I follow the installation procedure you posted on the first page from number 4?

Edited by bluetown, 13 February 2011 - 03:33 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

If/when I get a cd I assume I need to go into BIOS and look for AHCI entry and change it back to enable?

Yes, you can put it back to enable.

Then do I follow the installation procedure you posted on the first page from number 4?

In general, yes. But if you can provide me with exact hardware configuration (computer model etc) I can give you more detailed instructions.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
The PC was made up for me many years ago so it has no branded name on the front.
I really like it and it is/was sufficient for what I use it for.

Back in May 2009 I used Belarc advisor and it gave me these details which I saved, hope they help.

"Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Processor a
1.30 gigahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives Memory Modules c,d
17.33 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
11.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

FUJITSU MPE3173AE [Hard drive] (17.34 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
05001363, rev EE-C0-23, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
1008 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 17.33 GB 11.60 GB free

Main Circuit Board b
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 062710 07/15/97

Display
SiS 300/305/630/540/730 [Display adapter]
Fujitsu Siemens L19W-2SA [Monitor] (19.1"vis,
s/n YE3S227902, October 2008)

System model
No details available

In May 2009 I did buy and install a Seagate hard drive, I am sorry but I did not keep any other details on the size of the HD I installed.
It may have been SEAGATE HARD DISK IDE 160GB UDMA100 7200RPM 2MB OEM

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. I thought that we can go with Windows 7 but as your components are pretty old the best bet will be Windows XP. If your hard disk is IDE (not SATA) you shouldn't have any problems with Win XP setup. We will keep this thread open so if you will have any additional question just ask.

Edited by Render, 13 February 2011 - 06:09 AM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Actually it just crossed my mind that I have 3 recovery discs that I created for Windows 7 on the laptop I bought on Friday.
I wondered if I could install them on my broken desktop PC but remembered Windows 7 needs at least 1GB of memory to run and of course I did not get an authentication code because it came pre installed.

So thanks for your help.

I will post back when I get a new Windows XP disc.

Regards