Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steam login issue (Ports may be the problem)

• Please log in to reply

Mgalekgolo

Mgalekgolo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Comcast as my internet, and steam was running until I quit it. I quit it because it was giving me trouble playing games. when I try logging in it says "cannot connect to steam network ect."
I can login to the site fine. I believe comcast blocked my ports. please tell me if you have any comment or suggestion.

Advertisements

LilDude772

LilDude772

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

I have Comcast as my internet, and steam was running until I quit it. I quit it because it was giving me trouble playing games. when I try logging in it says "cannot connect to steam network ect."
I can login to the site fine. I believe comcast blocked my ports. please tell me if you have any comment or suggestion.

What I've tried is:

A) checking If firewall blocked it
B) checking if the ports are allowed on the modem/router
C) Repairing (Right click your internet connection your Windows Tray, click Repair (Or status, than repair)
D) Restarting the modem/router

Normally after doing one or more of the above steps I've gotten it to work.

Here's some URLs I gathered from Portforward.com about Steam, simply just scroll down and find your router-type, and follow the steps provided after clicking on the router-type.
Steam Client Ports: http://portforward.c...Clientindex.htm
Steam Server Ports: http://portforward.c...Serverindex.htm

Mgalekgolo

Mgalekgolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I got it to work. comcast seems to sometimes close gaming ports.