Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes during start up

• Please log in to reply

Kvistenn

Kvistenn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all!

About half a year ago I bought a new PC. It worked fine for the first few months but since a while back I've had some problems. The problem is that if you're trying to start it up after it's been turned off for a few hours it would just keep crashing (bluescreen) until it's "warm" again. The first 5-10 tries the computer won't boot up at all, the computer is still running and every fan is spinning etc but it won't boot up. After 5-10 tries it'll start booting up and then it'll crash (bluescreen) or simply just reboot, sometimes before windows is loading, sometimes during and sometimes after you've used it a few minutes. Once you get it started it'll run flawlessly for days as long as you don't turn it off.

System is as following:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0)
Intel Core i7 930
Corsair 6GB (3x2048mb) 1600MHz XMS3
Gigabyte Geforce 460 1GB OC - (2 of them in SLI)
Corsair Force 60GB SSD
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Corsair HX 850W
Corsair Cooling Hydro H50 CPU-cooler
Fractal Design Define R2
(Everything is running with standard clocks)

Things I've tried:
Reformated it probably 10 times+
Memtest 86+ about 8 rounds without a single error
Tried each hard drive seperately
Tried each graphic card seperately
Updated firmware on SSD aswell as a secure erase with Parted Magic
All kinds of new/old drivers
Sent the mobo, CPU and memory back to the store for testing, they found some problems with the mobo and replaced it with a new one but that didn't solve anything.
Updated BIOS
(Probably forgot something here)

To me it looks like the PSU might be broken but if you have any other ideas/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Writing this from my laptop but if you want I could upload the .dmp files aswell, just say the word.

Edited by Kvistenn, 13 February 2011 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Kvistenn :D
Your assessment and conclusion of a possible PSU issue would seem reasonable in normal circumstances but take into account the quality, silver performance rating and positive reviews of the HX850
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139011 against the the reviews of the MB and it is not so cut and dry http://www.newegg.co...te ga-x58a-ud3r
Best I can suggest is try another known good PSU and get the present one tested by a suitably qualified person who has the correct equipment.
If you are able to try another PSU start by only connecting the video, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard, add one component at a time to see if the issue reoccurs, you must shut down and remove the power cord before removing or adding any components and ground yourself before reaching inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kvistenn

Kvistenn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem.. Guess I should have done some more research before buying it all, oh well..

I don't have access to another PSU at the time, guess I'll let some technician have a look at the whole computer. I'll certainly keep you updated.

Thanks for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries, I hope you are able to resolve the issue quickly, if you are able to confirm the PSU is good and the MB is still covered by warranty consider swapping to another model or even manufacturer of MB as it looks like Gigabyte have got a problem one in the GA-X58A-UD3R.

NB: I like Gigabyte MBs personally and have one myself so Im not biased.