Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW drive stops boot

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I bought a new SATA HD by mistake, there is no connector for it ont his board,

I appreciate the HDD is NOT the issue.
Is the image I posted of the motherboard YOUR motherboard please. If it is NOT then Intel have included the wrong image in their PDF file.
If it is the CORRECT image the SATA is on the bottom left as I have indicated.

OBVIOUSLY I hope you appreciate that when you responded with the post, answering my question "Is it SATA" I could not know that you referred to a HDD and not the SONY DVD drive.

I NOW believe that you have the configuration of the jumpers incorrectly set on the SONY.
As you have only ONE IDE drive connection of that motherboard - as on my image - you MUST be connecting with the ONE either old style flat ribbon cable or the newer style of that cable. Either way you could set BOTH the HDD and the DVD drive to cable select on the jumpers. (but see below)
If you look at the OLD optical drive jumpers you will probably find it is set either C/S or slave.
If you look at the newer one you will I am sure find it is set either cable select OR MASTER.
This I am now reasonably certain is the problem.
You should also check the jumper setting on the Western Digital drive, as if that is set CABLE select and you have this DVD set OTHER than cable select it is WRONG

Also if the HDD is set MASTER and the DVD is set MASTER it is wrong.
SO IN SUMMARY

Set the HDD master
Set the DVD Slave.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above this may help
EIDE (PATA) Desktop Hard Drive Jumper Settings:

Posted Image
EIDE (PATA) Drives:
  • Connect the EIDE (PATA) Interface Cable to the hard drive(s):
  • If installing the hard drive as the only drive on the cable:
    Connect the black connector of the EIDE (PATA) interface cable to the drive.
  • If installing two drives on the same EIDE (PATA) interface cable:
    Jumper the bootable drive as Master, and the other drive as Slave; then connect the Master drive to the black connector of the EIDE (PATA) interface cable, and the Slave drive to the gray connector.

Posted Image

YOUR HARD DRIVE bootable as master
YOUR DVD Drive - slave.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 01:45 PM.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
That did it!! Moved the jumper to middle as the Samsung was set, and all is perfect, cked bios and is now listed, and booted no problemo.

As you sd, was over my depth on this issue, had never pd any attention to a jumper on back of DVD or CD, they always worked no problem.

Thanks very much for hangin in there and solving my problem,

Rick

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.
Thanks for being so appreciative it makes the job worthwhile.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
On the cd drive, is it set as Slave or Master? (try slave if its not in that position)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rosiesdad
Good idea but see post 18 and while you are there my 16 & 17.