Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I become administrator?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
A neighbor recently bought a new computer and gave me her 250gig HD because my HD had failed. She has Win7 as I do. When I went to download online files that I had backed up online, I was told that I do not have administration privileges and could not download them. What steps do I take to erase her from this computer and put myself as administrator? She had Mozy as I do and I had erased her Mozy files prior to downloading (or attempting to) my files using Revo Uninstaller. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not certain I have fully understood what you are trying to eventually achieve.

It is extremely unlikely that the hard drive from your neighbour will work in your computer - with the system installed when it was in her computer.
The drivers for the devices will be her computer drivers.
The chipset drivers for the motherboard will be hers etc.

The ONLY possibility that it will work is if her motherboard is the same as yours. Otherwise you will have many issues.

Clearly the easiest way is to format the drive completely.
Install your motherboard drivers and Windows 7. - presuming you have the means to do so.
Then correct any outstanding driver issues.

In answer to your particular question you use her account to sign on obtaining from her the password for the administrators account and then create an admin account in your name.

http://www.sevenforu...le-disable.html