Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code 10 "audio device (driver) not started

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Working on a Generic Desktop (not sure who put this thing together, no brand name), Just put on windows xp pro sp/3 and as usual had to download a few drivers. All went well until it came to the audio driver. The system has onboard audio and has a Msi 1996 mother board. Searching the mobo specs I found that the audio drive was "AC97". I downloaded wdm_a4or.exe from realtek, but it has an exclamation mark and says device could not be started. I see that there are a couple of other "AC97" drivers on download.com. should I try these?

any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Hi, well you have been fooled by the N1996 in big alphanumerics. That some certification number. The normal place for board numbers is between the PCI slots on most brands of motherboard. If you look there you will see like MS-6178 ver x.x or some other number.

So ignore the N1996 on any board...and keep looking for the number between the slots. Once you know the exact motherboard model you can go to the MSi driver download page and find the sound drivers you require.

Hope this will help

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Case Closed :D, You were correct. I finally gor the right Mobo # and went to drivers guide and was able to download the correct driver. Audio is working fine now.