Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my computer overheating or a ram fault?

• Please log in to reply

Stealdo

Stealdo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, recently my computer has been automatically rebooting by itself. I may well be playing music or watching a video while surfing and it just goes. I'm not sure if its the processor overheating or what not or the RAM needs replacing?

Heres my system specs...

XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ dual core processor
4gb ram (3.5 effectively)

I'm also been using the speedfan program. Just before my computer rebooted itself before not sure about the GPU, temp 1 was 110 and temp 3 was around 90.

It states I have two fans and fan 1 is 3013 pm and fan 2 is 1034 rpm. Currently the GPU is 56, temp 1 84, temp 2 48, temp 3 47 and the internal temp is 61.

So yeah not actually sure if it is overheating or what. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, 110°C is too high, even for a graphics card. The 47 and 48 are fine but the 84 and 61 are concerning. But I think we still need to sort out what is being monitored. SpeedFan is a good program but not suitable for all systems and these programs often have a hard time matching sensor to the correct label. Below is my canned text on hardware monitors. See if you can get your labels sorted out.

You also need to open the side panel and make sure all fans are spinning. Then power down and unplug, discharge any static in your body by touching bare metal of the case, then carefully clean the interior of heat trapping dust and dirt.

Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>RealTemp for Intels. SpeedFan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Unfortunately, I have found that these programs often have problems properly identifying and labeling the sensor they are reading. The temperatures shown are as accurate as the inexpensive, low-tech sensors will allow, but it may say System Fan instead of CPU Fan. Fortunately, the programs do allow you to edit the labels, so I use Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is able to match sensor with label correctly), then edit the label in the monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others. Check but do not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS Setup Menu. While they are likely correct, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being taxed. But if the BIOS Setup Menu temps are high, you have problem that needs to be corrected.

Once your temps are sorted out and under control, if still having rebooting problems we can look at malware, RAM or other possible causes. But the priority is the 110° and 84° temps that need to be addressed.