Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network only showing pc I am on - AHHHH!

• Please log in to reply

jacarney8657

jacarney8657

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi i usually visit the malware forums so this is my first time dealing with trying to get my home network on track. Here is my situation:

I have a dell studio 540 desktop, a inspirion dell laptop, a canon mx340 printer and a cisco valet plus wireless router. The computer run windows 7 on both.

I originally had the desktop wired to the router along with the printer wired to the desktop.

Then i bought the laptop and had to move my set up so now the desktop and laptop are wireless and the printer is as of now wired usb to the desktop. Both computers have mcafee security suite. I wanted to hook the printer up wireless so I could print from all computers and also enable file sharing on my network.

Problems started here, I tried to hook the printer up wirelessly and on the printer itself it said it was connected to my network, but neither computer sees the printer. Also when i check to network map on mcafee and windows neither computer shows anything but itself the router and the internet for a map. So in closing it looks like each computer only sees itself and the printer won't show up anywhere yet says it is connected to my network.

I don't have much experience with all the networking stuff since I only ever had 1 pc and no need for a router, now with all the wii, xbox, ipod, pcs, printers going on in my home I am being forced to deal with this stuff and like to know the whys and hows and if i don't i end up like i am now, frustrated. I don't want to do anything to mess up anything so if anyone can please help I would appreciate it very much.

thanks
josh

Edited by jacarney8657, 16 February 2011 - 02:49 PM.

Advertisements