Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can a technician trace websites after delete history?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

aimi

aimi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi guys,

now dont get suspicious i didnt do anything wrong. it's just that the laptop belongs to the office and it was meant to be only for work purposes but i have been web surfing though i always delete history whenever i close down the laptop.
so im wondering if i hand the laptop back to the technician (because apparently there are some problems with the laptop), can he like trace up the websites i went?

Advertisements

Quintz

Quintz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
(Hopefully, you are using a Windows OS);
Depends how smart he is and how you "deleted" your history.
a.) Who's network was it on? If it was the school's, he could probably check sites you've visited.
In that case, you're screwed.
*IF you were doing it on a different network, you still might have a slight chance of getting away with web surfing.

b.) If you hit Ctrl+H and then deleted your history, there are still tracks left behind.
You have to find a way to deleted your cookies via a program (such as "CCleaner") or via your default browser.

*Note
-You need to know exactly where all of your extra temporary internet files are stored on the hard drive.

TIP: Navigate to the %appdata% folder, it will show you most of the sites you've loaded. This contains data such as saved progress in games; if you've ever played them on that computer. If so, just delete the folder that contains the "unallowed" content, then clear your recycling bin.

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
...i am a dumb person. what's windows OS? crap i dont even knw which version of windows it is tho i think its xp.
um its not the school, its my mum's office -.-

so if i delete all the files in the temporary folders,then i wont be traced? i tried looking for the temp. folder before but i couldnt find it ><. is there a way for me to search the folder? btw the laptop is very restricted so im not sure whether if it will show

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://blogs.msdn.co...-index-dat.aspx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This topic is a continuation from the original topic located HERE
As stated the issue needs to be brought to the attention of your mom's IT department and let them correct it.
Closing this topic for duplication.