Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

philli

philli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My tower comes on, but the monitor gets no signal. Everything is connected,and this little copper piece of the graphics card might be damaged.

Would bad graphics card be the reason why my monitor is not getting a signal?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Yes indeed it would if it's damaged as the monitor relies on that card for a signal.

You will need to replace the graphics card with a new one, and install it's driver.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 18 February 2011 - 05:45 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

and this little copper piece of the graphics card might be damaged.

Did this damage just happen? I would try another monitor first before buying anything.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey there,

A bad graphics card could explain why no signal is being sent to the monitor.

However, I recently tried plugging in a graphics card (Nvidia 460 Fermi) to an LCD TV and also got no signal. The strange thing about that one was that every other resolution would show a picture, except for the native 1366x768. Replacing the HDMI cable in that instance fixed the problem. Now, this may not be the case for your situation, but I just wanted to point out that the graphics card could be working fine and you still won't get a signal for a different reason. It is possible.

A little more info might help:

What kind of graphics card is it?
What kind of monitor are you plugging it into?
Are either of these components new or have you been able to get this setup to work in the past?
What makes you think the copper piece (which I assume is the heatsink...?) might be damaged?
Have you tried a different connection/cable (VGA/DVI/HDMI...)?
Does your monitor ever get a signal after turning on the computer (for instance a splash screen or POST information for the first five to ten seconds)?

Also, like Digerati said, check to see if any other monitors show a signal when connected to this computer, if possible. You could try to see if your current monitor shows a signal when connected to a different computer, again if possible.