Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus 2005 Problem

• Please log in to reply

psycho_o1

psycho_o1

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My father and I went out and bought the program for my mother for mothers day, but something went wrong during the initial installation. Some of it was installed, some wasn't. The program does NOT work, and there is no uninstall and it's not listed in add/remove. Every time we try to install it now, it says it detects parts of norton already installed, and we can't install because of that. Any ideas how to get rid of these components? (I'm afraid it might be in my registry entries... I avoid going there as much as possible)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try doing a complete hard drive search using keywords like Norton to find everything that relates to the partially installed app. Delete these folders/files. You're not going to get them all since you don't know the names of ones installed. It's a shame Norton doesn't provide an uninstall program on CD or did you look?

Next, you need to do a registry backup. Then open RegEdit and search for Norton entries again using keywords like Norton. Delete these entries. I would then try using an utility like RegCleaner to find more stuff related to Norton's partial install and clean those entries out.

After all this, try the install again. Other than that, you might try Norton's FAQs page to see if they have any related topics.

Ron

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can also look at section 2

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff