Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my comp is not showing signs of life

• Please log in to reply

estager

estager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have a comp im fixing for a friend that doesn't know much about computers but the problem is somthing ive never seen before. the computer would not turn on period so i checked the power and nada. so i tried to use my tested working power sorces not one of them did the trick so i tried running it with another hard drive to see if that was my problem nope in fact i got signs that the hard drive is good when i hooked it up to another computer. so if anyone can help me plz i beg of you do so ive been checking problems for hours.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Yank all cards except video and then pull video and memory and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser (rub down, not across) and then follow with a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Reseat Video and memory. Clear CMOS and try starting tapping the DEL key (most machines its DEL - look at the screen on startup to get into SETUP). Once in BIOS, set for defaults and F10 out. Post back.

:tazz:

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok ill try that but the thing is that everything but the lan on this thing is acctually part of the mother board ill tell you more after i find a pencil.

edit: it didn't work i can't get any juice in this dumb emachine period

Edited by estager, 27 May 2005 - 11:16 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good chance its the PSU - pretty common for them to roll over and die. You can get a cheap - make that inexpensive - replacement at NewEgg.com or ComputerGeeks.com

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
if you read the orrigional post it said i changed it with several working tested powers suppies it's not the pcu
the thing is ive never had to mess with mother board problems could this be caused by that battery on it being dead or some thing
Edit:oops i guess i put power sources down on accident i ment to put supplies

Edited by estager, 27 May 2005 - 11:29 PM.

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah im still stuck dumb computer is still giving me the silent treatment

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You may need a micro ATX PSU which is a little different than a normal ATX PSU. Micro-ATX provides 4 output voltage rails (+3.3V, +5V, +12V, and -12V). ATX provides 5 output voltage rails (+3.3V, +5V, +12V, -5V, and –12V.)
Can you give us any other known history on this box. When is the last time it was known to be working?

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
a month or 2 ago when my friend was online its not the psu the computer is like a year or so old emachines computer with windows xp that help any?

is there any way that i can tell if perhaps the mother board is fried or if its just some dumb thing like the button to turn on the comp is busted or something? cause it's wires are plugged into the mother board so thats not it

Edited by estager, 27 May 2005 - 11:55 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

its not the psu the computer is like a year or so old

it didn't work i can't get any juice in this dumb emachine period

if you read the orrigional post it said i changed it with several working tested powers suppies

What PSU's did you test it with? Specs please.
And would you be kind enough to tell me how you went about clearing CMOS?

Edited by Rockster2U, 28 May 2005 - 12:02 AM.

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sl400 atx12v and compatible power supplies and the one that was in there origonaly was simmilar
cmos i wish i could get the computer that far when my friend handed it to me it was dead and ive made no progress since

Edited by estager, 28 May 2005 - 12:08 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You'll need to test this machine with a micro ATX PSU or test the PSU with a power supply tester to determine whether or not the PSU is a problem. I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

Based upon your description this is where I would start your troubleshooting. You can argue all you want and if someone else wants to take another approach, thats their perogative. I'm not going to waste your time going through instructions on clearing CMOS and resetting your machine until the PSU issue can be put to bed.

If you are in doubt re: what I've said - why don't you try that power supply in a known good working machine and share your experiences with us.

edit: "that" power supply being the one that was/is in the eMachine. ie: the original micro ATX

Edited by Rockster2U, 28 May 2005 - 10:29 AM.

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i know my pcu is good be cause i connected it to my slightly older computer that works and the pcu turned it on but it wont get the other one to work i think it's the mobo but is there a way to fix a problem like this without telling my friend he'll need a 150$+ mother board if he wants this thing to work again?

my biggest susspicion is that his mom told me it made a horrid noise when it failed could it be the central prossesing unit?is there a way to tell which is the culprit?
and sorry if i appeared to combating you i was trying to say that i had already run the working pc well off of the pcus i was useing to try and run the broken computer. also like i said i can't get far enough to work with the cmos like i said the last noise it ever made was thatannoying buzz or beep what ever it is im tring to be as much help as i can

oh and you keep mentioning cmos is there a way to clear that with no power? like i said ive never had to deal with anything major on a mother board before

Edited by estager, 28 May 2005 - 09:04 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
The best thing you could do for your friend is to advise him that he needs to take this to a shop with a qualified technician.

Edited by Rockster2U, 28 May 2005 - 10:25 AM.

estager

estager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah thats what im gonna do i don't knowenough about mobos so thnx anyway though