Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not start....

• Please log in to reply

rick_atencio

rick_atencio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello , I have an issue with my emachines w 2628. It had been running ok for the longest time until yesterday. I was looking at the computer when it should have been off , but I saw the light on. I turned on the monitor, so I could shut down, but there was nothing on it. I pressed and held the power button to shut it down and a few seconds later it turned it self back on( fans running ) with no picture on the monitor. I then pulled the power cord and waited 20 seconds and plugged it back in. When I plugged it back in , the light for the SD port on the front was on but no fans running. I pushed the power button and I got the fan to work , but still no picture. I was told by emachines tech support that the power pack may be the problem. I went out and got a new one and installed it. Still no picture , but I still can get the fan to work and that SD light is still on, the only way I can get it off is to unplug it from the wall. I am totally out of ideas here. I am now only able to get online at work now. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance , Rick

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Rick, welcome to Geeks to Go. My first question: Is the computer still under warranty? If it is, I would make them fix it. If it is not, then we need to figure out how to get it working again. You said you replaced the power supply on EMachines tech report recommendation. You carefully checked the cables as you removed the old one and installed the new one, correct? Right below the power button on the front of the computer, there should be a much smaller button for "reset" of the power button. Have you tried pushing that?

This is strange, lights are on but the switches are off. Can you please describe the lights, what the are supposed to indicate? Can you look inside of the case and see any indicator lights on the motherboard? Does the CPU fan run?

I really hope your system is still under warranty.

rick_atencio

rick_atencio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello and thanks for the welcome. The answer to the warranty is no , unfortunately in is no longer under it ( expired 3 months ago...go figure!). On the front of my computer I have 4 slots to place a SD , memory stick, and 2 different memory cards that I am not sure are, but they each have lights that indicate if a card is in a partictular slot. On my very old PC I did have a small reset button but on this one there is none. I am positive that I installed the power supply correctly, I pulled one cable and replaced it with the new one before moving on to the next one. The CPU fan works great as does the power supply fan. I do not see any lights on the motherboard that are on. I also noticed that in addition to the SD card slot light , my caps lock , number lock , and scroll lock lights on the keyboard are very faint and flash about 2 times per second when I turn the power on. Another thing is when I turn the power on it really looks like it wants to go on and I even see the amber light go on for the hard drive. I really appreciate you trying to help, I will not be able to get back to a PC until tuesday or wednesday, so I will also try to contact Emachines tech support again but I am not sure I trust their judgement and I would rather take advise from you all ! I also wanted to say that I am more concerned with getting files off my hard drive and just buying a new computer if needed. I have heard that Emachines are not the best computers to get anyway. Thanks again.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yea, they only die after the warranty expires. I have been there. If the cpu fan runs, and the power supply runs, and all of the cables are correct, I would suspect the motherboard died? By all means, see what EMachines tech support has to offer as a solution!