Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP ZD8000 Laptop not booting

• Please log in to reply

jclynn67

jclynn67

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thank you all in advance for your help! My niece has a HP ZD8000 laptop with XP Home Edition sp3. The last week or so when she would shut it down it would have 24-36 updates every night!!! She would let it run the updates and come back later to shut off the power supply when the screen would be black. She assumed they updated ok ... but couldnt figure out why so many updates constantly. Then she went to use it and it no longer boots up. It will start to boot ... shows the windows xp screen with the bar loading etc ... then just goes blank. All the lights stay on but the fan shuts off. If I push buttons it will beep randomly but nothing happens ... the screen will flash once in a while but won't continue loading ... one time it went to a white screen but blank. The startup music will sometimes play 3-4 minutes later but still nothing happens ... other than the fans will kick in and off from time to time. Can start in safe mode and have tried system restore to several different dates and it doesnt change anything. I dont have an xp cd ... trying to get ahold of someone that has one I can borrow ... anything I can try in the meantime?

Thanks again in advance!
Jody

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those updates may be failing because you don't have service pack 3 installed...check to see if it is...if not get it and install it... since you can boot into safe mode go to the add remove programs section in the control panel...put a tick in the show updates box and see what you have in stalled....then boot into safe mode with networking and go to windows updates and see what it ayes you need...
get the list of what you need then go here to the softwarepatch and download them...
then go here for instructions on How to Update Windows XP in Safe Mode

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well I think I messed up big time ... last night before getting a reply ... I got ahold of a xp home edition cd and reinstalled xp! I was trying to reinstall everything on the computer, as it showed I had nothing on it anymore ... nothing on desktop ... nothing but the basic programs etc.! I downloaded avast free antivirus and installed it ... then downloaded yahoo messenger ... went to try to go back to avast to get the free registration code and it won't let me open avast or microsoft home page so I thought I better run the avast and see if there is a virus ... expecting it to run quickly since the computer (I thought) was blank ... come to find out there is everything still on the hard drive ... just doesnt show up in program files or add/remove programs??? How do I get the old info back into the new operating system? What did I do wrong? How do I get into avast to register?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OH NO HELP!!! Just got done with the virus scan ... one found and it doesnt sound good!!!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\content.IE5\OYKGRKK1\zomsao[1].jpg

Threat: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]

Is there a way to move this post to the correct virus forum?

Thanks a million in advance!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just start a new topic in the malware forum...let them know you have a rootkit

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts