Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection drops frequently.

• Please log in to reply

sk8er982002

sk8er982002

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys and gals,

I am having issues with my internet connection. For some unknown reason, my connection will drop frequently. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router. Connected to it are 3 desktops (via cables), a Xbox 360 (wireless), a laptop (wireless), and a PS3 (wireless). I have been noticing that it seems to drop the most when I am on my Xbox 360 trying to play games online. When I first sign in to Xbox Live after turning on my Xbox, it will usually drop me right away and I have to sign back in. I've been playing Call of Duty Black Ops and I have been noticing that when I try to join a game, it will join but then kick me out because a loss of connection. I can then re-join the game and it usually won't have any problems. My brother claims similar problems with his games on his desktop. I have tried restarting both the router and modem but I am still having the same issues.

I don't know what other information you need so I can answer any other question you may have. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you are experiencing the issue on multiple devices, I would suspect it's a problem with the router or your modem. Can you try a direct connection to the modem and see if you still experience the issues? Have you looked into a firmware update for your Linksys?

I had this problem about a year ago with my old D-Link where it would randomly dump my connection for no reason. After wasting about 3 hours trying to diagnose and repair the problem, I ended up buying a new router which fixed the problem.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 24 February 2011 - 07:44 AM.