Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Reader Updater

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am pleased for you and thank you for being so ready to express your appreciation.
If you are at anytime going to try any recommends for altering registry keys, may I suggest you seek advice here first.
It is regrettable but the web is full of suggestions to alter the registry, some of which are extremely bad advice.

I am sure you know basically how the registry works but you may consider it a tree and then you have the trunk, boughs,branches twigs and leaves. The leaves being comparable to the values of individual keys. Just as with a real tree, many registry entries are dependant on others and the inter-relation makes changes to one, extremely unhealthy on occasions to others.

That is why registry cleaners are unwanted un-needed and frequently dangerous.

Install this and it will immediately back up your registry. That does not mean you do not need to establish a restore point if at anytime you are going into the regsitry.
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

that is LEFT on screen ERUNT not the one on the right.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2011 - 05:45 PM.

Advertisements

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Thanks for your input.I never knew that about registry cleaners.
One question, which download,server 1-2or3?

One more problem:
I'm now having a little trouble opening my icons.
Taking a lot of time and running very slow.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It does not really matter as it is such a small download.

Are you saying that you are having problems you did not have with opening icons.
Those registry keys you altered for the Adobe were only permissions and could not have affected the performance.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2011 - 03:54 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I downloaded ERUNT,I had it once but not sure what happened to it.

I didn't have those problems with the icons before that I can recall.

I did go back and forth with Firefox and Internet Explorer, so I could update windows.

I have Adobe flash player 10 active x and 10 plugin, in control panel, do I need both?

Also to check with you on performance, would like to know if these programs are good to use?

AVG. 2011 Anti-Virus
Super Anti-Spyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
ATF Cleaner
Auslogics
Secunia

Are these all right or should I have others?

Sorry for all the questions,just trying to clean up my pc to make it run better and faster.

Edited by john god, 04 March 2011 - 04:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly the programs.
1. AVG 2011 . Thought by many to have become rather bloated over the years and the 2011 includes a so called optimizer of something of that ilk which is in effect a form of registry cleaner. Additionally AVG issued an update sometime late last year which caused problems to many computers.
Many users have reported a system crash resulting from an AVG update published on December 1. The update causes the computer to continually reboot and even booting into Safe Mode will not help. The solution to the AVG crash is to boot from a rescue CD and rename the AVG folder, after which the system should boot normally.
According to AVG, the problem mostly impacts x64 users of Windows 7 - though a search of forums indicates other operating systems may have been impacted as well.It certainly was NOT restricted to 64 bit systems.
AVG claims the problem resulted from improper inclusion of some untested files in the 12-1 update package. This does bring concerns for chain of custody to mind - hopefully something they will take steps to rectify in forthcoming releases END OF QUOTE.

There is available of course a plehtora of free anti-virus programs. My personal choice and recommended, amongst other on Geeks to Go is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is regularly updated, unobtrusive and it has never let me down. That said, I do not use P2P torrented downloads which are the severe test for any anti-virus.
Here is a link and a quote from this site Geeks to Go for your information.
Microsoft Security Essentials is 100% free. Free download, free updates, and advertising free. There isn't even a paid option available. Don't let the price fool you, it's a great offering. Based on their former OneCare Antivirus, and utilizing a unified detection database shared with their Forefront enterprise security product, it's feature complete, with great definitions. Above all, it uses fewer system resources than any other antivirus tested (free or paid). Simple to install, easy to use, runs silently in the background. Compatible with Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Many languages offered.
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

2, SAS Excellent, recommended here. Free edition ideal to run once a week or so.
Never let me down - always quarantine after running - until you know all is OK. I keep it in quarantine until the next scan and then delete the first quarantine.

3. MBAM - probably one of the best. Always use the quick scan. It is NO different to the full scan.except the quick scan does not include your restore points.
The quick scan scans 99.2 % of the files.
Only use the full scan if something is found on the quick scan. THAT SAID IF SOMETHING IS FOUND you are always best seeking further advice here. on the Malware forum.You need the help of a certified malware expert to ensure that all traces of any infection have been removed.
The free version does not include real time protection
NEVER RUN TWO anti-virus or two spyware that include REAL TIME PROTECTION.
they fight each other, sometimes negate each other and will undoubtedly slow your system down.
4. ATF - excellent little utility- incuding cookies on IE will delete saved web passwords. On Firefox it has a separate check box for passwords. There is little to be gained by checking prefetch, as Windows will simply rebuild the prefetch folder and whilst it does so browsing will be slower.

5. Ausologics. USE ONLY the defrag. It is quicker than XP. Some people do not like it, some rate it highly. Some say leave defrag on Windows to the included defrag. I certainly do not think it does any harm and it is certainly quicker than windows. Always use the analyse before the defrag, no point in defrag at 2%, because it will be 2% again when you go back a few hours later. Personally I defrag at 9%.

6. Secunia - Secunia OSI PSI . Seem to remember that it links you to various driver provider sites. if it finds drivers out of date.
If I am right and I make no criticism of the program itself the only place to obtain driver is from the manufacturers site, the OEM computer site not from these various driver provider sites. I have seen many cases where the wrong driver has been provided.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2011 - 05:01 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Secunia (PSI) 2.0

Since you mentioned the problem with AVG.
Before I contacted (Geeks To Go), I downloaded AVG PC TUNEUP 2011.
It gave me 1 free run. Would help with registry and Adobe.
I guess I should delete that, maybe its the problem.

Edited by john god, 04 March 2011 - 05:15 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
already amended my post when i checked before your reply.

I am concerned about this perceived slowness.

YOU DID DO as I asked and established a restore point before the changes ? Did you

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Yes I did a restore point.
Check my last post to see what I thought it might be with AVG.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am not certain you have read ALL the post. The update in question for AVG was 1 Dec last, so that is long gone and sorted by now.
I am I suppose saying - I would not use it. It uses far more system resources than other anti-virus prorgams. It is howver trusted by many.

What did you have before.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I always had AVG ANTI-VIRUS.

But this is the first time I had installed AVG PC TUNEUP.
I thought that the PC TUNEUP would help with Adobe.
I also had downloaded REVO UNINSTALLER PRO to help with Adobe.
Just wondering if PC TUNEUP or REVO could be causing a problem.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have just had a look at that AVG Pc Tune UP
Most of what it CLAIMS to do can be done free with the inbuilt procedures of Windows and IE.
I see this for AVG TUNE UP.
A similar tool cleans up your Windows registry by rewriting it to eliminate fragmentation, slack spaces and structural defects
which is reason enough to KEEP WELL AWAY from it.
What follows is ONLY MY OPINION. It does not presume to quote any opinion of this site or anyone else.

REWRITING the registry is in my opinion complete and utter garbage.
If they REALLY MEAN that their program REWRITES IT then, if they guarantee it will work 100% reliably, on 100% of occasions, then it is fantastic - personally I would not touch it with a bargepole
Windows manages it own registry extremely well and the only time it should ever be edited is with regedit, when you KNOW what you are doing.
A fragmentation of the registry, although that is not really the correct term,. for blank spaces, has no adverse effect and the defrag of it, will not increase performance in any measurable degree.
I do not believe there has been a registry cleaner, optimizer, booster, defragger or now AVG will re-write it - program that can be trusted to do any of these things.
The complex nature of the registry, in my opinion makes it impossible for any automated procedure to decide reliably that one single part of it is no longer required.
If you click on the My Link in my signature notes - you will see the opinion of an expert.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2011 - 06:11 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Revo uninstaller will NOT have caused the problem. Providing of course that as REVO attempts first to find the uninstaller of the actual program and then if it cannot it presents you with a list of items, you checked, that what you were then uninstalling was the program remains. = we are of course then back to registry entries.
THAT SAID - I have never encountered a problem.
It is really, not required for the usual uninstall, as of course windows add.remove programs or a REINSTALL of the program in question. and then an uninstall is the way to go.
Addiitonally many programs offer on their site an uninstaller.

AVG TUNE UP - what else can I say?

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2011 - 06:21 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above
I would uninstall AVG having checked first what it was AVG did. I presume it has a history, quarantine list etc.
I would before uninstalling restore - whatever it was it removed.
CHECKING CAREFULLY WHAT THAT WAS.
Post if you need to - the details.

It also of course states that it optimizes your browsers settiings etc, speeds up your connections, cleans up file fragments etc etc..including
"Tweak Manager
Customize 280+ Windows settings to improve your system’s speed and performance"
It would be interesting to know what these 280+ settings are?
Does it come with a set of go faster stripes :D

I would then see how things are.
As you have REVO uninstaller pro, you will be able to check what that did.

AND IF IT IS STILL NOT CORRECT you can go back to the system restore point you established before I became involved,

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2011 - 06:41 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
In the AVG VIRUS VAULT:
I had;---2 Warnings- Corrupted Executable Files
and;----5 Malware-Fake Alert-KS

I don't know what Customize 280+ windows are...

I will uninstall AVG and PC TUNE-UP, and install Windows Security, Microsoft Security.
Also, I will uninstalled Revo since I don't need it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On this page here see full specifications
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-pctuneup

Malware-Fake Alert-KS that is a rogue security program, usually acquired from a pop up warning you that you are infected.
http://www.sunbeltse...DE489A124D24BFE

However more importantly is to ensure you are now clean.
In otherwords all traces of infection have been removed.
I cannot deal with this.
Only certified advisors can.
Please go here and follow the advice.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/
Would you kindly provide a link on the post in Malware to theis thread so that the advisor can see what has been done here.
Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 March 2011 - 01:36 PM.