Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not stay on

• Please log in to reply

dandruch1

dandruch1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Gateway ESeries, (7 years old), Windows XP HE OS, that has been pretty dependable up till now. When I push on the on button, the computer turns on for 5 seconds max and then turns off - never booting. The "on" button seems a little loose to me. Last week, I had to uninstall Avast 5.0 because it was not working well with my Vista computer so I got Nortons product for both computers. I am not sure what's up. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is possible that your power switch button is getting stuck and that makes your computer shut down (most computer have a soft off option in their BIOS to turn off the computer if holding the power button for 4 seconds).

Check your switch and make sure it is does not stay stuck when you press on it, if you are certain it is not staying stuck and your computer still turns off then we will check at other possibilities for the reason why.

dandruch1

dandruch1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alzeimer,

Thank you for responding so quickly. Since my original post, I decided to unplug and remove the cover to see if my fans were operating during the first five seconds of power. When I plugged it in and turned it back on, my fans started up and then shut off. I then turned it on and it stayed on this time. I cannot tell if the switch is stuck but it makes sense that if it was or is that the computer would shut itself down. Now that it is on, it is really slow and the windows take for ever to appear and when they are closed, the dissappear in portions and very slowly a tapering effect. I use this computer for homeschooling my children so it does get alot of use and maybe sometimes abuse : ) if you know what I mean. Could the uninstallation of Avast and the new installation of Norton have an effect of the performance issues. If so what can I do about it? Thank you for your help.

Dandruch1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As for the performance issues....if it started with Nortons then I would suspect Nortons as the problem. Your computer is 7 years old and programs like Mcafee, Nortons, Symantec, AVG are hogs on performance.

Avast is light on resources and is ok for Vista.