Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios Updating?

• Please log in to reply

nafe

nafe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have a Advent 7105 Laptop(ECS 331 Series)and the CPU speed keeps on changing in the XP System Properties, original speed is 1.81ghz then changes to 1.59ghz then 1.61ghz then will not display the XP start button options (just flashes when clicked) so I thought I'd flash the bios to see if it helps. But I cant find the ROM file on the ECS website just the flash utility.

Heres the site: http://www.ecs.com.t...nuID=93&LanID=0

Maybe you guys could help?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is the page you want, > http://www.ecs.com.t...nuID=93&LanID=0

Click on downloads. Click on BIOS.

Edited by iammykyl, 21 February 2011 - 07:49 PM.

nafe

nafe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem is when I download the bios it doesn't have the ROM file in there. I've done Bios updating before and there is always a ROM file.

any thoughts?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The behaviour you describe re: the processor speed fluctuating is completely normal.
Updating the BIOS will not change anything.

nafe

nafe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply!

It did not do it before. And like I said it locks up the bottom-left corner XP button. Tried changing the power scheme to "always on" but still the same. Which I've seen on the net that cause the CPU speed variation.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Some things you should do if you flash the BIOS.

Find out which version of the BIOS you have then see if the the available updates are newer.
Does the newer version address the problem you are having? If no, do not update.
Consult your Motherboard manual for instructions on flashing the BIOS.

The following may help.

On boot up, enter BIOS, select (if available) load optimised defaults, (if not available) select factory defaults, click, save and exit.

Edited by iammykyl, 22 February 2011 - 05:11 PM.