Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making Firefox Faster

• Please log in to reply

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
There is a neat little set of tweaks, to enhance the speed and efficiency of Firefox.
It involves envoking "about:config" and changing several settings and adding two new ones.

It doesn't take too long to accomplish, but when you (I) have a number of PC's to tweak,
it begins to take up too much time.

So what I'm trying to find is the file that's modified by the tweaks, so I can just install
the tweaked version of that file into each computer that I need to modify.

I'd really like to find out the name and location of that config file.

Thanks,

Shadow :D

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Google is your friend...

about:config is a feature of Mozilla applications which lists application settings (known as preferences) that are read from the profile files prefs.js and user.js, and from application defaults. Many of these preferences are not present in the Options or Preferences dialog. Using about:config is one of several methods of modifying preferences and adding other "hidden" ones.

Note that if your intention is to increase the number of pipes/connections to a website, which is the usual method of "speeding" Firefox up, be advised that while it may work, it's also incredibly anti-social due to the extra connections.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Anti Social? Extra Connections?

What's that got to do with my question?

I do know about the prefs.js file, etc., but those files are very small and do not contain all the listings that I can see when I do the "about:config" thingy.

So I guess that for now, at least, I'll have to continue making my adjustments one PC at a time, the old and slow, manual way.

I had just updated Firefox on my own PC and on a brand new installation of Win-7, and every .js file I found on my PC had an old date on it. Another one of life's little mysteries.

:D