Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best way to backup HD as Mozy has screwed me...

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Can someone tell me the best way to backup my computer (HD)? I have been using Mozy, but now that I have anothe computer, restoring is becomming a problem, not to mention the monthly cost. I have Win7. Is Ghost any good or is some other program better or should I go about it another way? Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
A disk-imaging application is the way to go but there are better alternatives to Ghost.

First off, Windows 7 has it's own built-in disk-imaging backup tool:
Control Panel >> Backup & Restore >> Create a system image.
The only downside to using that is it insists on writing the image file to the root of your chosen drive, not to a folder. This is so the Recovery tool can automatically find it if that drive is connected.

If you prefer a third-party solution, for technical reasons some disk-imaging software doesn't work properly with some Windows 7 installations, specifically those installations which have a separate partition for the boot manager. I've tested quite a few that don't restore properly
with that configuration.

The only one I can recommend is the one I use myself & which does restore Windows 7 properly even when there's a separate boot partition: Active@ Disk Image: http://www.disk-image.net/

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 23 February 2011 - 05:50 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Genie Soft has some really nice programs. I personally use their software and don't have any complaints.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you looking to backup the entire drive as a image or back up files and folders.
I use Ghost (because I own it). I also use DriveImage XML and Easeus TODO.

I use Syncback Free for my files and folders

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Tekzilla has some information on backups: http://revision3.com...&highlight=mozy
they should have an upcoming episode once they complete their testing. taking a while to do full backups.

top runners to mozy: Carbonite (consistantly recommended). backblaze and crashplan. There is also dropbox. Dropbox doesn't do full backups like the others, but its what I use as I only care about specific data.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I would like to backup the whole drive in case I have to install everything due to a hard drive failure among other possible problems.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
carbonite is one of the best backup software. the easiest is to clone our hard drive with something like Acronis or Symantec ghost (corp , not consumer). do to work, I use ghost enterprise for cloning and backups. just put the image/drive its one somewhere where it won't be damaged.