Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive memory rapidly reducing help

• Please log in to reply

Lms216

Lms216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I noticed that when i first got my computer that with vista on it had about 10 gb left over of free space. As time went on it decreased from 10 gb to 5gb from some new programs but very recently it has dropped from 5gb to 45mb and i have not put any new programs on it since it dropped to 5gb except evernote which i doubt is a problem. I really need some help because i dont know what the problem is. Could it be a virus or is there something wrong with the physical drive itself. Please help system restore wont work unless i have at least 300mb free

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Check out a program I love called SequoiaView. This freeware program shows every single file on your hard drive in a pretty unique treemap form.
SequoiaView Home Page
Download

Once you install it and run it, it will scan your hard drive and create a map. My 150 GB hard drive took about three minutes to scan. The big boxes are big files, the small boxes are small files. Here you'll be able to see what is taking up so much space and where it is.
Careful with what files you delete. If you don't know what it is, post back here with the file name and location and we'll help you figure out if you can delete it.