Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using S-Video on HP Compaq Presario V5000

• Please log in to reply

cameronfaust

cameronfaust

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm running Windows XP on my HP Compaq Presario V5000 and am having a lot of trouble getting my screen to show up on my tv. I'm using an s-video to RCA adapter with audio. I have been able to use the cord with every other computer I have besides this one and it has worked perfectly. When I start up the computer I can hit FN+F4 and it will show the boot screen on the tv while Windows XP loads but once it finishes loading and the login screen starts to come up it switches back to the laptop LCD. I have tried many different drivers and have had no luck.

Advertisements

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have you tried lowering your resolution? Not sure if it would help but it's worth a try.

Also, why use the adapter? No s-video port on the TV? If there is, try just using a normal s-video to s-video cable. I'm no pro but I never seen these s-video to RCA cables. Not sure why they exist or how they work, but I do know s-video only outputs VIDEO, hence VIDEO in its name. It DOES NOT deliver audio last time I checked...

cameronfaust

cameronfaust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I sure did try lowering the resolution and had no luck. I'm using that cable because most tvs actually have RCA plugs and that way I can send the audio through the tv. It has a 3.5mm male and s-video plug on side for the computer and the yellow/white/red on the other side for the tv. I had a regular 4-pin on both sides s-video to s-video cable but was never able to get a tv to actually show picture with it so I thought getting the RCA version instead would be much easier to work with since it's a simple click of the remote to switch the tv to input through the correct port.