Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Registry Keys and Values

• Please log in to reply

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi ya!

I ran my ccleaner, and I have over 500 registry values that ccleaner states that they no longer exists and should be deleted.

How do I go about this?

Thanks

:tazz:

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
LOL!!!
wow
thats kinda odd
"they no longer exists and should be deleted"
so they are there but should be deleted?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi ya!

I ran my ccleaner, and I have over 500 registry values that ccleaner states that they no longer exists and should be deleted.

How do I go about this?
Thanks
:tazz:

View Post

Hey...Are you using RegCleaner by any chance? Nine times out of ten you can pretty much delete the whole 500 at one shot. I have. First time running it there was over 900+. I certainly wasn't going to check each and every one of them.

Just make sure you have it set to make a back up of your registry before deleting. If not sure, open RegEdit and export your complete registry file to whatever folder you want to use. You will have to probably run it again and again until it comes up clean.

Ron

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Hey...Are you using RegCleaner by any chance? Nine times out of ten you can pretty much delete the whole 500 at one shot. I have. First time running it there was over 900+. I certainly wasn't going to check each and every one of them.

Just make sure you have it set to make a back up of your registry before deleting. If not sure, open RegEdit and export your complete registry file to whatever folder you want to use. You will have to probably run it again and again until it comes up clean.

Ron

Hiya Ron :)

I dont have a program called RegCleaner... Just ccleaner... But yeah, would love to delete them all at once, that would be awesome..

I would probably need some training on this... lol I was reading up on how to do this on the Microsoft website, and it was very confusing to me... But that was doing it on your own..

I dont understand this computer mumbo jumbo... It is all ;) to me..
Heck, bring on the engine overhaul manual and I'd be better off :tazz:

Hey, does Admin have this program (RegCleaner) on this site for downloading? Might as well add more downloads to my puter... ;)

Thanks for helping hun !

:)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Did you run the cleaner or just run the "analyze" option??

Murray

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi Murray,

Thanks for lending a brain partical ;)

Cause I could use a few more :tazz:

But anywho...

I have ran the cleaner only... And I just found out about the analyzer button... So I pushed that, and it gave me all the registry values and when I clicked "Fix" it just states on "maybe all" that they are items that can be deleted due to programs that has been deleted...

;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try THIS link..

It's for RegCleaner and will do a better job!!

Murray

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you like collecting these programs, try RegSeeker too :tazz:

RegSeeker 1.45 (Freeware)

Ron

P.S. You are going to have to make more than one pass after a cleaning until it reports no more items.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
RON !!!!!!!! ;)

Noooooooo.. I dont like to collect them... :)

OMG, I have enough cleaners, checkers, etc. on my system... And I barely know how to use them, let alone understand them... :)

Which one should I use guys :yeah:

Dont confuse a blonde worse than she already is :tazz:

I'm already even having problems with the new upgrade of Spybot Search & Destroy... I downloaded that, and for some reason I keep getting an error when trying to run the dag on thing ;)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

OMG, I have enough cleaners, checkers, etc. on my system... And I barely know how to use them, let alone understand them...

OK. I'm the same. I have so many so called utilities installed it's hard to know which to use.

I do have both RegCleaner and RegSeeker on my PC. They both do a very good job, but which to use is a matter of personal preference. I found RegSeeker easier to configure and use. Once open, the GUI is a lot nicer and easier to use than RegCleaner.

It's your choice. Just be sure that the "Backup before deletion" is checked at the bottom. After a run I click the "Select All" at the bottom and then delete everything. The first time I did this with over 900+ items in the window, I closed my eyes, crossed my fingers and deleted. Had to run it through almost a dozen times before it reported zero items. You have an option to scan for old .exe entries too.

Ron

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hey Ron... Just a FYI "never confuse the already confused :) "

But RegSeeker it is ;)

I will get that downloaded and check it out... I will let you know what I think of it... And when you call something

the GUI

do you really expect me to know what that means :tazz:

I dont know which is worse... Me not knowing, or you thinking that I know ;) LMAO !!!!!

:) and :)

Thanks, I needed a laugh... :yeah:

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Ok... Downloaded...

Now... YOU get to come HERE and show me how to use this thing :tazz:

I dont understand 1 thing about this thingy... OMG, I'm lost..

***goes back to truck manuals*** ;)

;)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I dont know which is worse... Me not knowing, or you thinking that I know  :tazz:  LMAO !!!!!
;)  and  :)

Thanks, I needed a laugh...  :)

View Post

Always glad to help someone laugh. Relieves stress. I shoulda been a court jester. :)

BTW, you can always Google for definitions or drop the computer word you want to define into the Search window at this site :

COMPUTER DICTIONARY

And this one also covers Internet Technology :

Webopedia

And more...

If you use the great little browser Firefox, you can install all the neat extensions/plugins where all you have to do is highlight the word of interest and right-click, select Search/Define word from menu and it'll do its thing. Helps me to make sure I spell the big words correctly provided I'm not in a hurry.

;) Ron

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Ok... I clicked the Umm... ok.. yeah.. hold on.. going to look at it again :tazz:

Clean the Reg. button... and it is going threw the checks now... ;) So many...

But when that is done, the program is suppose to give me the option on making a backup?

and if these thingys arnt any good then why keep them as a back up?

Thanks for the heads up on the COMPUTER DICTIONARY.. Thats pretty cool.

Give me a few hours, I'll forget about it tho... ;) lol

OK.. do I select the all the red and the green? It is asking me this...

Never mind... I selected them all... Like to know what they are all tho...

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
OK.. Here might be a good question... :tazz:

So, does all these bad ActiveX and Reg. files use up memory?

AND....

If you click on "Installed Applications" there is the button that states: "Invalied Add/Remove entries" Should I delete these as well?

:wub