Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Battery Issue

• Please log in to reply

melanief

melanief

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so, here’s my laptop battery problem. Please bear with me, as I’m not real swift when it comes to this type of stuff :D

Ever since I got a new an AC adapter/charger, the battery keeps loosing charge, very slowly. It’s now down to 25% and not sure if it would be the battery or the cord or the actual socket where it plugs in. It will beep every once in a while like when it does as you remove the cord or plug the cord into the back. The display at the bottom shows that the cord is plugged in.

If it matters, I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 and Windows XP

Any suggestions would be great because I am getting ready to buy a new battery and will save my money if I find a different solution or answer. Thanks so much!

Melanie

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi melanief,
Couple of questions to see if it may be the battery itself;
How old is the battery.
How much and what type of usage has the battery had.
Are your power options set to high performance and if so have they always been.
Is it the original battery as supplied with the laptop or a generic replacement.
Do you constantly run the laptop with the battery in place and the AC adapter supplying power.

melanief

melanief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh dang, most of these questions I can't answer, as I bought the laptop from craigslist last year.

I just looked at the power options and it is set for high system performance, which I've never changed the settings at all.

I never had problems with the battery not remaining at 100% until I got this new cord. I actually bought two from amazon and neither cord changes anything. I got the cords about a month ago.

Yes, I do run the laptop with the cord almost non-stop. I did try shutting the laptop down all the way and restarting to see if it would help, but it didn't.

Thanks for helping :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok no worries just knowing that the laptop was purchased as used means it may be the original battery so it could be at least 5yrs old and would be due replacing anyway, some batteries may only last 2-3yrs in normal usage.
Other than trying the AC adapter/s on another laptop or another battery in your laptop I am not sure of any other ways of checking the battery, it is possibly pure coincidence that the battery started doing this when you purchased the new leads.

melanief

melanief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thank you for your help!

No worries, is the issue now resolved?
Can I bring this post to your attention http://www.geekstogo...doesnt-turn-on/
Is the replacement adapter/charger an IBM branded one or a cheaper generic type?