Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp re-load problem

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes to both questions although the new one is Prof. and the old is home edition and the new one is one that came from a friend that works @ Microsoft......2002 version.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So you are not waiting for a reply and presuming you know that you can use that CD see this from the Microsoft link I sent.
  • Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition. You can press D to delete an existing partition, and then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each existing partition that you want to include in the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining non-partitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.
  • To create the partition with the maximum size, press ENTER. To specify the partition size, type the size in megabytes (MB) for the new partition, and then press ENTER.
  • If you want to create additional partitions, repeat steps g. and h.
  • To format the partition and install Windows XP, go to step 2. - END OF QUOTE.
DELETE BOTH PARTITIONS.
REPARTITION
Create one partition of 20 Gb for Windows to be installed on
Create a second partition of about 20 Gb for your personal documents and images
Create the remainder as a third partition approx 100 Gb for your programs etc.
Obviously you can alter the second and therefore the third depending on your requirments for the second.
This is FAR better than simply installing with just one partition of the whole space. It keeps your operating system separate from your data and programs and in the event of Windows file corruption makes recovery of your data far easier.

INSTALL the reocvery console as a boot option THIS could be very valuable advice
See this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
It is far easier to to do this now rather than later.

Please just post back with any queries.
I do most strongly advise you not to miss this valuable opportunity to partition as I have said. It is a far better way than simply installing it . The reason it is not done on the average OEM computer is simply cost implications for the time it takes.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 02:07 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
So step by step: remember I'm no computer buff
1. delete both D: & C: existing partitions
2. Do I use create a partition in the unpartitioned space by pressing C and do this 3 times? How does it knon or does it care which partition is for what and aren't I suppose to input MB for size (not sure of the conversion to GB)
3. Finally "INSTALL the recovery console as a boot option" I don't know what a recovery console is, but will read the article while waiting for your answer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Using the same format for reply
1. YES
2. YES you create the partition and yes in Mb, as I have highlighted on my last post,
a Gb is a 1000 Mb.
If you look at your post about the C and D drives you will see the size in Mb.
So the 20Gb will be 20000Mb.
No it does not know but you will then install windows on the first partition - to make it easier for you make one 20Gb and the second 30 and then you cannot get mixed up.

3. The recovery console is what you would normally access when you cannot load windows by inserting the XP CD. However by doing it this way you can boot straight to it.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Done and this is what I have now:

C: PARTITION1 [NEW (RAW)] 20000 MB (20000 MB FREE)
D: PARTITION2 [NEW (RAW)] 20000 MB (20000 MB FREE)
E: PARTITION3 [NEW (RAW)] 91060 MB (91059 MB FREE)
UNPARTITIONED SPACE 7 MB

Not sure my next step, is it ENTER=Install of do I have to do something regarding reocvery console now?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No our next step is
To format the partition and install Windows XP, go to step 2
on all of them.
See the article - Microsoft

Step 2: Format the hard disk and install Windows XP
  • Use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
  • Select the format option that you want to use to format the partition. You can select from the following options:
  • Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 02:51 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Now continue by pressing ENTER=Install?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does this help you
You are doing great just take your time
There are no prizes for speed.
http://tweakhound.co.../installXP1.htm

Pls do not forget that recovery console install it is worth its weight in gold when things go worng

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 02:58 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Windows started up. TweetHound talkes about a lot of downloading that is very helpfull...do you agree? eg. slipstreamed Service Pack 2 and I'm sure my 2002 version doesn't have SP2 or 3. Is which of these 3 do you prefer:
Paul Thurrott's Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 3

For an advanced slipstreaming and installation customizing guide see:

MSFN's Creating the ultimate Unattended Windows XP CD

***Highly recommended - For an advanced slipstreaming and installation customizing program check out nLite.

Also mentions: Download and install a System Information Tool. I prefer:

SIW

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No that is ALL before you install Windows, the purpose is to install it as XP with SP3 and is usually done to prevent difficulties with XP SP1 and sometimes SP2 having problems recoognising SATA drives.
When you say started up - do you mean it is installed and working, that was very quick.

Version 2002 is nothing to do with if it has SP2 or SP3
Version 2002 was Windows Xp
You can have a Microsoft XP Cd Version 2002 with SP2 or with SP3.
It should tell you on the CD which Sp it has. It is emblazoned on the CD just to the right of centre.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 February 2011 - 03:43 PM.

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Actually still going thru Q&A with 10 minutes to go.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
complete...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive.
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD drive. For Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type d:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD drive.
  • A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
DO THIS NOW PLEASE. You will not be able to do it after updates.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will stay with you for as long as necessary.
Please DO NOT go without telling me and I will do the same for you.
That said of course you just call it a night whenever you wish and we will pick it up again as you wish

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I have 2 questions.....does J sound right for the replacement ltr. "where d is the drive letter for the CD drive" and is this the one I use: j:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons since I have Prof, but I don't know if it's x64 edition...anyway I get this error: j:\amd64 refers to a location that is unavailable?