Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not open after multiple tried things

• Please log in to reply

emmaslovelys

emmaslovelys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I tried reinstalling my windows xp opereating system after deleting or erasing it by mistake when I was trying to burn a program/ image to sd card and chose the hard drive instead. i'm now getting the message:Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem after uploading xp software from cd. When I try to do the bootcfg /rebuild in windows xp repair mode from cd, it does not work... Any ideas? I'm desperate as this is my husbands work computer and was told that our warranty expired the 31st of Jan!! I appreicate any help you can offer for my stupid mistake. I've been tryig in vain for days to fix!

Advertisements

Matriculated

Matriculated

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Emmaslovelys welcome to GTG,

Thie error you're receiving can be caused by a few occurrences. The information you gave has a few missing details that may aid in correcting this issue.

Firstly,
  • When you were transferring the Program / Image to the SD card did you overwrite the Operating System WinXP Hard Drive while it wasn't active (i.e. you were in another operating system or environment when you overwrote the hard drive WinXP was residing on)?
  • If not, and you were in the WinXP OS environment when you where trying to copy the Program / Image to the SD card; in what directory did you try to save this Program / Image? (i.e. "C:\" directory, "C:\Windows" directory, etc.)
Secondly, when you stated:

I tried reinstalling my windows xp operating system after deleting or erasing it by mistake

• I this quote stating that you tried to do a regular reinstallation of WinXP with the OS disc you have?
  • If so, how far did you get in that process and was there any warnings or errors?
*Warning* If your quote meant you tried a reinstallation (not a "Repair" they are very different) and it failed, be aware that there could be data loss and you will need to be very clear on this in your next post so I can assist in mitigating any further data loss if any.

Lastly, how far along in the "Recovery Console" - "bootcfg /rebuild" did you get?
  • Was it able to select a "Windows installation" upon entering the "bootcfg /rebuild"? (i.e. "Add boot installation to boot list")
  • If so, then did it ask for "Enter Load Identifier"? (If yes what did you enter here?)
  • If yes, then did it ask for "Enter OS Load Options"? (If yes what did you enter here?)
Be wary of requests to do a "Repair" install at this point (this is also would use your WinXP install disc that you attempted to use for the "Recovery Console" operation). Though a repair install may correct this, it could also make things worse.

In your next post please answer the questions above and submit a detailed narrative on things that occurred. Start from when you were copying / transferring the file(s) (include the type of copy it was i.e. disc image or multiple files and what directory did you copy it in) all the way to now in the exact order in which you performed them (be as detailed as you can, no pressure Posted Image). This will aid me in pointing you in the right direction.

P.S. As a bit of preemptive hope (as long as it wasn't hardware failure which can also cause this error), if all future attempts fail, you may still be able to recover the files by attaching to another computer or alternatively using a "Live CD" to recover files.
There is hope Posted Image.

Edited by Matriculated, 23 February 2011 - 11:58 PM.